Anyone running 33's on a TT/Shackle setup? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone running 33's on a TT/Shackle setup?

venom

Reaction score
City, State
Duncan, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I've searched, and I just can't seem to find the right combination. I'm currently running 31's and the TT / Shackle setup. I've got plenty of room. I was looking at going to 32's, but with Hi-tec retreadings 33's being as cheap as they are, I'd like to run them. I don't want to do a BL, but I'm not totally opposed to trimming. So, I was wondering if anyone is running 33's on just this setup, and if you have any pics of what you did to fit them.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheels will be a big deciding factor. If on stock wheels, then yes it would be possible with some trimming. If on say aftermarket 15x8's, you're going to flat out have to do some serious cutting.

I threw my 33's on my truck (97 xlt) with just tt and shackles just for sh*ts and giggles to see how it looks and how much trimming would be required. pic is here:

33sleftside.jpg

Well I can turn the front wheels only about 3/4 of the way. So could I run with this setup? Yes but it would take a boat load of trimming. Atleast on my rig with 15x8 steelies.

I've got some 15x8 steelies as well. Where are you rubbing? Backside of the fender?

my old truck on 285/75/16's....

rubbed at full lock and under lots of flex. Only trimming was to the plastic fender flares.

Attachments

• 597594_3_full.jpg
    597594_3_full.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,044

I've got some 15x8 steelies as well. Where are you rubbing? Backside of the fender?

Yeah for the most part. On my truck the trimming would more then likely just be tupperware to get it down the road. keep in mind I did'nt spend alot of time figuring out how much trimming would be needed because I am putting on a bl.
It could be done though. I was actually surprised I was'nt rubbing worse then I was.
Hope this helps
Good luck
JIGA

Please understand, a 285/75/16 is not as wide as your typical 33x12.50x15 and even though it is roughly the same height it will not rub as much.

Dig it fellas. I appreciate all the insight. I'll be grabbing the retreads at the end of the month, and if they don't work the way I want, I guess I'll be going for the BL. I really appreciate it!

BTW, any idea what the 15" rim equivalent would be to that 285/75/16?

I am running 32s on stock rims with just TT & Shackles. I do have some rub when it bottoms out. But I just may need new shocks. Turning just needed a slight trimming.

Tim

I'd go with 32's, but the 33's are cheaper. I think I'm gonna do the BL too. Just seems like the easiest way.

I was wondering if there was a metric equivalent to the 285/75/16 for a 15" rim. I'm probably going to stick with the 33's anyway, but I'm curious.

I was wondering if there was a metric equivalent to the 285/75/16 for a 15" rim. I'm probably going to stick with the 33's anyway, but I'm curious.

there aren't many metric truck tires for 15's. I have never seen a 285/xx/15 anything.

The closest to a 285/75/16 in a standard 15" setup would be a 33x10.50x15. As far as i know, BFG is the only maker of that size. The 285/75 is basically a 33x11.00, so the 33x10.50 would be right there with it just a tad skinnier. Ive never seen the MT's but the AT's in that size look like pizza cutters.

I have 32x11.5s on stock rims and I have plenty of room. I could probably go 33s but it would look silly on the stock rims.

Well, my decision is made. I'm going with the 33s, and if I need to cut or lift I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thank you all for your help!

Well, my decision is made. I'm going with the 33s, and if I need to cut or lift I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

:thumbsup: :D

That is what I said when I went to my 32s.

Tim

I made a little modding on my '97, running with 32x11,5x15 on 10x15 (ET-43)

But i think it would be much better with a lift kit, because with this setup you could'nt really go for offroad because it's too hard..
I'm searching for a long time for a good solution, found nothing...:(

dscf0051mediumsmallji1.jpg

Do you know a 3" Lift for the EX? (4" is not allowed in Switzerland)

The closest to a 285/75/16 in a standard 15" setup would be a 33x10.50x15. As far as i know, BFG is the only maker of that size. The 285/75 is basically a 33x11.00, so the 33x10.50 would be right there with it just a tad skinnier. Ive never seen the MT's but the AT's in that size look like pizza cutters.

Interco makes a 33x10.5x15 SSR.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really like the trim on your truck.. Here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172274&highlight=body+lift

I made a little modding on my '97, running with 32x11,5x15 on 10x15 (ET-43)

But i think it would be much better with a lift kit, because with this setup you could'nt really go for offroad because it's too hard..
I'm searching for a long time for a good solution, found nothing...:(

dscf0051mediumsmallji1.jpg

Do you know a 3" Lift for the EX? (4" is not allowed in Switzerland)

Back