Anyone running without front sway bar? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone running without front sway bar?

JSHaag

Reaction score
City, State
Owensboro Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer V8
Anyone running their ex without a front sway bar? If so how is the handling and such?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you want to do that the truck will be very unstable it becomes very mushy I would not suggest this .

I believe GJarrett is running his 2nd gen without it in the front and back but his rear is a solid unlike yours. Just drive your truck carefully.

i used to running no sway bars and it handels like crap and theirs alot of bbody roll. Now that my trucks lifted i would never do it again. Keep it stock they run way better

I am running my second gen without a front sway bar and a 3" Body Lift Gets a little sketch sometimes but it works ok. but there isnt enough benefit of removing it. I would put it on if i could find it

If you wanna test it do this. Unbolt front sway bar, drive somewhere where its safe (meaning no other cars,people,etc) while doing 30ish MPH and quickly jerk the steering wheel to one side about 1/4 turn or just enough to swerve a little. Feel how much body roll you get and think about that same effect while doing 70-75 MPH...its gonna be a lot worse. Put sway bar back on and repeat. I have a feeling that you'll think better and keep it connected for road driving. I read over and over about disconnecting for road driving it was good it was bad, everything. So I eventually just left it disconnected after wheeling at buddies land for the short 15 minute ride home and thought "Hey I'll see what it feels like at a slower speed" tested it, thought better and leave it connected for road driving. Would you probably be ok for slow around the town stuff maybe. But what about the car that unexpectedly pulls out in front of you or the little kid that runs into the street.

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU DO THE TEST AND YOU; WRECK, FLIP,LOSE CONTROL,HIT A MAIL BOX, HIT A DOG, HIT A CAT, OR ANYTHING GOES WRONG IM NOT RESPONISBLE.:D

i did this unknowingly for a while, mad body roll on turns, steering alignment was slightly off, and there was an instance where one of my tires started hopping on the highway. that was when i decided to check under there to see what was going on, i was missing both end links. i would suggest leaving it connected unless offroading.

I took mine off when I went to the drag strip and ended up leaving it off for about 2 months. The ride is smoother when going over bumps or pulling into the driveway at a angle, but there will be more body roll. It wasn't as bad for me because I have 20" rims that kind of help with body roll anyway(less sidewall flex) but for a stock tired vehicle it would be worse.

Why are you wanting to undo them? If this is for off-road purpose's, I would look into doing a quick release setup for when you go off-roading. Otherwise, it would be best to leave it hooked up.

Do you have any lift spacers installed? I ran my mounty with the sway bars off after my lift and the suspension was stiff enough that I didn't put them back on. You just need to get use to driving without them then you will be fine. I don't use my truck for auto x or anything like that so it was fine. Pull the sway bars and widen the stance an inch on both sides. For me its not bad at all even on 35s. Ask Danny he rode in it with no sway bars.

Back