Anyone use the OBDII Bluetooth Units? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone use the OBDII Bluetooth Units?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Im currently doing an audio overhaul in my 2006, and running a Pioneer double din unit. I am always going back and fourth on what I want to do, but I was thinking about modifying my radio bezel to fit an iPad mini. Then I figured why just a mini, its only marginally bigger than my Pioneer, why not a full size iPad.

Very doable, but then I remembered the whole thing about iOS and the OBDII bluetooth modules. (Not sure the technical details) but the apps like Torque don't work on iOS.

Im an Apple guy, but if I run a tablet, I definitely want the vehicle data apps, and it seems more feasible to run an Android tablet instead.

I plan on leaving it permanently installed, as in not taking it out. I use Spotify for music, so once i'm near home, I can add/delete/save music from my laptop or iPhone's Spotify app, and it will automatically update the tablet once connected to my wifi which would easily reach where I park. Plus, I can tether my phone to the tablet for data on-the-go.

Whats everyones experience with the bluetooth modules, which one are you using, what do you look for when buying one, and what OS, and App are you running for the diagnostics? (I would like to be able to read engine codes, my airbag code, and see live data like speed/rpm/various temps, etc)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, those have really dropped in price. I remember a few years back, a friend ordered a really basic, slow one for like $50.

Im really not liking my options with the Android tablets, I like the tablets, but the mounting kits are very scarce, I have pretty much like a Nexus 7, and Galaxy Tab A 8. (Refuse to buy the over-priced kits from soundman). But with the iPads, I can get any single iPad in my dash with one of the kits.

Gonna do some searching on the iPads and bluetooth modules. Theres gotta be something...

Small Chinese knockoff Android tablets are so cheap, I would just buy one specifically for this purpose. We bought our toddler a cheap dual core tablet on Amazon earlier this year for $50. It's about as fast as the older Galaxy Tab 2 that I still have laying around, and battery life isn't an issue if it remains plugged in.

No this is going to be in place of my headunit. I may leave the headunit in, but either way this is going in that spot.

The Android dash molds are very scarce as in what tablets they make them for. The Nexus 7 is the most popular one, but I'm not doing all this work to go from a 7" headunit screen to a 7" tablet. (I know capability wise it would be a leap of an upgrade) but I want the wow factor too. At least 8" preferably 9-10" which is why I'm leaning more towards an iPad Air. There's just enough room for one in my dash bezel.

Back