Mjööllnir The evolution | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mjööllnir The evolution

Diesels are on the roads and trails every where else in the world except the US. Now this diesel is a bit large for this application, but a diesel provides more torque, and better mileage and you can run biodiesel and help the environment so there's 3 good reasons right there to pop one in your explorer. That extremem4x4 episode put a VWturbo diesel in a suzuki. Maybe something bigger than that, but smaller than the F250 diesel. Like a larger 4cyl? I don't know much about them, but from what I've seen on some shows, they'd make a great trail motor!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reasons to do a Diesel swap:

1)Most diesel engines have EASILY 2x as much torque as horsepower.
2)Diesel engines last much, much, much longer. Not as long as they used to. But still longer than most gas engines.
3)Excellent fuel mileage. Some diesel engines can get 3x as much mileage as an equivalent gas engine.
4)Why not?
[Now for some personal resons.]
5)I love diesel
6)Blasting traffic with soot is fun.
7)Beating Honda Civic's with a vehicle 3-4x the weight.
8)Removing stubborn trees from relative's front yard.
9)Pushing through snow like it was air.
10)I miss my diesel. :(

been getting some more done slower now that I have to work
(dam responsability's)
I got the frame pretty much done gas tanks is in and setup
I am going to be running a bw1356/np205 doubler black box style (guy from another board is making it) so for now I just put the bw1356 back in
I custom made my own driveshaft not perfectly balacned but it will do the job till I get the doubler in and a good shaft made up

I have decided on running 40" tires now to choose between Iroks or bfg mud terrians km2's

started in on the explorer tear down
I am gonna have to mod the fan box and open up the heater box inside so all I have on the firewall is the fan

DSCF3073.jpg

DSCF3074.jpg

DSCF3075.jpg

DSCF3076.jpg

sold off the chassi already so I have to have the body off by sunday

Looking good.

I can tell you the IROK's will be noisier on the street than the KM2's. Other than that there isn't much difference. So whether that matters to you or not is the real deciding factor. Also the KM2's will "probably" be a little cheaper. Don't hold me to it though.

body is free from the frame chassi is already taken away

ready for the trans plant

took me three differnt methods to get one that worked the best trusty old engine hoist

DSCF3077.jpg

DSCF3078.jpg

DSCF3080.jpg

DSCF3081.jpg

DSCF3083.jpg

So this really isn't a diesel transplant into an explorer, is it? It's an explorer body put on the frame that holds the diesel. I'd love to see some one put a small diesel into the engine bay of an actual explorer! I still am loving this build by the way! Please don't think I'm hatin!

there was no way i could have fit the 6.9L on the frame of the explorer

Of course! I certainly understand that!

So this really isn't a diesel transplant into an explorer, is it? It's an explorer body put on the frame that holds the diesel. I'd love to see some one put a small diesel into the engine bay of an actual explorer! I still am loving this build by the way! Please don't think I'm hatin!

google 4bt cummins. plenty of people put these in the b2's and ive seen one explorer with it so far.

anyway nice build so far, ill be keeping an eye on it

amazing, you´re gonna be able to rip out a house from the basement with that monster.

well with help I got the body moved over and placed on the frame

Now I need to figure out if I am gonna cut the firewall up and lower the body or leave it up where she's at rear bodys mount are only 2" higher then stock but the very front is about 8" off the frame (wich I was aware they would be
and to have enough engine to forewall clearance I need the body moved farther back then what I had thought so I am gonna have to move the rear axle back 10" aswell or it wont line up with the wheel well

lots more to do

DSCF3084.jpg

DSCF3085.jpg

DSCF3089.jpg

DSCF3090.jpg

DSCF3091.jpg

DSCF3094.jpg

DSCF3095.jpg

DSCF3093.jpg

I like the idea, make it work. Is there any way to use the F250 AC box, cut the Explorer firewall to take it? The 91-94 Explorers had the AC box much farther to the center. 95+ models have much more head room due to the AC being outboard like your F250.

Do you have any room for the other gas tank forward of the rearend? The plastic tanks of those Explorers hold more gas than the later metal tanks. You might fit the shorter Sport model tank, the 2dr. trucks.

Try to use an electric fan, you can gain some radiator clearance that way. Try to not use the Explorer radiator, use a later model unit. The 95+ radiators are a little taller, but they are much more efficient. With cutting up the radiator support, you could easily swap a better unit in there.

I wish you had a lift, I bought one to do my body swap project. It helps for a job like that. How wide will the tire track be, much more than the Explorer? You can add fender flares to add a couple of inches to the width of each fender. It looks great what you have done, keep us inspired. Regards,

I like the idea, make it work. Is there any way to use the F250 AC box, cut the Explorer firewall to take it? The 91-94 Explorers had the AC box much farther to the center. 95+ models have much more head room due to the AC being outboard like your F250.

Do you have any room for the other gas tank forward of the rearend? The plastic tanks of those Explorers hold more gas than the later metal tanks. You might fit the shorter Sport model tank, the 2dr. trucks.

Try to use an electric fan, you can gain some radiator clearance that way. Try to not use the Explorer radiator, use a later model unit. The 95+ radiators are a little taller, but they are much more efficient. With cutting up the radiator support, you could easily swap a better unit in there.

I wish you had a lift, I bought one to do my body swap project. It helps for a job like that. How wide will the tire track be, much more than the Explorer? You can add fender flares to add a couple of inches to the width of each fender. It looks great what you have done, keep us inspired. Regards,

I have deleted the ac side of the air box and made a cover for the air flow hole and a tube between the fan and cover (when I get to that I will have some pics up

I am using a stock 85 bronco tank 110L and there wouldnt be enough room to run the front tank I already was gonna try (hmmm second thought now that I am moving the axle back there may just be enough room)

I am gonna be running dual elec fans but it looks like they will have to be pushers or really thin pullers

I will be using the factory diesel rad why mess with whats not broken just have to open up the rad suport and weld in the lower section of the diesel rad suport to hold the rad

wheels will stick out there are full width axles under there and the body covers the first inch or so of tire and thats it lol

I am gonna make some custom flares out old mud tires and screwed to the fenders

giter done
(and in the next thought what the hell have I gotten myself into)

The stock 302 Explorers(96-01) have 3.5" of space for a fan, the stock clutch fan is very short. Meaning if you can come up with a good 4" of space, the thin pulling fans would work better.

The Sport gas tanks are a good 8" or so shorter than the 4dr. tank like you have. I'm using the 93 tank from my old Explorer(same tank as yours), in my 98 4dr. The later model tanks are made of steel and hold less gas. That old plastic tank is 22 gallons, and about 8" shorter than my steel 4dr. tank(22 gallons). The Sport tanks are about 17 gallons. I need the space for a larger BW4406 transfer case from an Expedition.

FYI, the later 95-01 gas tanks have easier mounting brackets to deal with, if you do have space for one there. The mounting of the older Explorers is a little more complicated. The front bracket you have is riveted to the frame, while after 94 they are a bolt on bracket, easier to move etc. The rear mounting points are alike as well as the strap, but that won't apply to your F250 frame.

it sucks but this project is dead
truck got hit and knocked of the frame bent a bunch of strucual crap
frame got tweaked
so I have to rethink as what to do next

heres a pic after I got it picked up

DSCF3097.jpg

Damn... I was looking forward to seeing it completed.

Maybe build a cage and gut the body. Bolt the body panels to the cage.

Or...

Make it kind of like a rock buggy. Tube and plate like a sand rail but, still have the solid axles so you can do whatever with it. Trail drive, rock crawl, etc.

Or...

Try to straiten the supports then reinforce them... It's hard to tell from the one pic, how much damage there is. Is it just the front part, or did the whole thing roll like that?

Edit: I reread... So the frame got toasted too... damn. What the hell did you hit it with? lol

landlords kid nailed one frame rail with their echo and shifted the frame out of square
I put a comealong on the aposing corners and pulled it straight but it went way to easy so I think the frame has lost to much rigidity for what I am gonna do

I think I may have over stepped my own ambition with this project I thpought it would be a cool rig
if I had more time and more equipment more space I prolly would see if I could get this back on track

I am gonna make another diesel bronco
I have done this one before and loved the truck but was forced to sell for family reasons
already found a paitent for 300 ducks (thats canadain bucks lol)

Wow that sucks. I was looking forward to watching this swap. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow sorry to hear this ...been keeping up with it and looks like it was going to be a cool project to see . got to ask tho ...got hit by a "echo" ?? echo what !? weedeater,blower etc.... ?????

personally if you got that much time/money/effort into this then see about what your landlord says about all this (it was their kids right (( maybe knock some rent money ;) ))

also i agree i would try to brace up what ever got messed up structure wise ...can't be that bad could it ?? those frame rails have got to be stronger than that .

goodluck .......

Back