Anyone used the Poweraid throttle body spacer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone used the Poweraid throttle body spacer?

RTStork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Bay, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 5.0L 2WD
They claim an increase in hp, torque, and mpg. Does anybody have one and did it work? Heres a link: Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks pretty good. I couldn't find a price. any idea on how much it would cost? i found a spacer on truckperformance.com that was about a hundred $. It claimed to give 5-8 hp gains and 10-14 ft/lbs. torque gains. that one however said it wasn't compatible with a new throttle body which might be my next mod. any idea on this one.

i like these new beer chugging faces :chug:

Dead Link Removed
They have them for about $100. I'm not sure about the fit on a different throttlebody.

only with stock

yeah it says on the bottom of that page that they will only work with the stock TB. speaking of throttle bodies I was wondering what your take is on them. i haven't recently seen any threads weighing pros/cons of this mod.
:chug:

Our 5.0's came with the 65mm throttle body. Its the same size that the Mustang guys step up to. They came with a 60mm. The only ones I have seen that step up to a 70mm, have superchargers or other serious mods. If you are staying naturally aspirated, I'd stick with the 65mm. I've heard of people actually losing some power when they went to a 70mm.

I just ordered the poweraide..........I guess Ill see how it does in a few days.......
:bounce:

GTRider, please reply with your results when you get it installed. Thanks!

No problem..........I will............Just waiting on the postperson (being politically correct) to deliver it.....

curious about results

i would be very interested in your results as well...could you let me/us know?thanks,
peter

Ill report back my results here.........I think Ill go get my Explorer Dyno tested before and after just to see if there is a difference....

The before and after dyno would be great! Then we can see if you gained horsepower AND torque.

i forget which issue of what magazine it was (i think may issue of petersons offroad) tested carburetor spacers and how and why they work, they also explained that tb spacers work in much the same way that carb spacers do. they also said that spacers can be homemade as well. i personally am using a peice of lexan to adapt my k&n to my MAS, i would think that with the demisions of this poweraide tb spacer, one could make their own without much trouble, and it would prolly be cheaper too. let us know how it turns out, if it goes well i might just build my own

I checked out the website and couldn't fine one for a 99 OHV 4.0. I could only find the SOHC, janky. ANyway, if you guys know where I can find one, then let me know please. Oh, if I get a bigger MAS and throttle body, I already have K&N and flowmaster muffler, would that help me out any performance wise? I'm trying to get better 0-60 times and quarter mile runs. Thanks guys.

Big Turkey, well I know a guy who ordered one for his 01 Sport Trac with 4.0 SOHC, and he found out that the spacers (at least the helix tower) would only work on the 4.0 SOHC set-up in the Ranger, although I am not sure what the differences are exactly. But he looked into it all ways around and found out that Performanceproducts.com has their website listing them incorrectly. Hope this helps a bit.

I too have been told that this spacer will not work well with an aftermarket throttle body.
BUT, anything that increases the volumne of the plenum will increase torque, so it would stand to reason that any spacer will increase your low end torque which is a good thing for trail runs.

I want to add a spacer between the throttle body and the exhaust recycling spacer to see if I can feel a difference.

Time will tell.

Back