Anyone Using a 'Bra' on the Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Using a 'Bra' on the Explorer

grrtrainman

Reaction score
City, State
Western Mass, (summer), & SW Florida, (winter).
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Limited 4WD 302A Tow
Since there’s a ‘bit of interest on what a “bra” would look like on our new Explorers, I decided to do a QUICK test fitting today of my new cover because it’s quite warm outside, (makes the fabric more pliable). I set the LeBra out in the sun for about thirty minutes and then proceeded to do the installation. Yup, the first time on is a learning experience, but subsequent applications will be much easier. One of the tricks to remember is that the loops sewn to the cover are only used to REMOVE the clips when taking the cover OFF. Follow the illustrated directions to the letter and you shouldn’t have a problem.
I have no intention of leaving the LeBra on the Ex permanently. It will only be affixed when we do our long treks, (like back and forth to SW Florida from Western Mass). Yes, I researched all the alternatives like the clear plastic sprays and the “saran wrap” overlays. Two of the advantages of the bra are that the new covers are made of breathable vinyl and they have a cushion effect on small pebbles that the other alternatives lack. This is the third front end bra I’ve had on my various vehicles and I have never had a problem with fading or scuffing because the fact that the bras are only used on a temporary basis and removed immediately after a long trip or after a rain. After this installation I took the Explorer out for a test run. Got the speed up to 75 mph. No flapping.
My next test will be to see if the automatic parking assist or the “BLIS” sensors are affected. The LeBra instructions say “the cover MAY interfere with the proper functioning”. No mention was made of the adaptive cruise control unit which is located behind the lower part of the front grill . I believe the bra is invisible to those radar waves. It’s those two small round left and right sensors that I’m not sure about. If there is a problem, all I have to do is carefully cut out the fabric over the sensors.
As far as the aesthetics are concerned, I personally don’t mind the appearance at all. It shows my Explorer is getting some TLC !

http://s1071.photobucket.com/user/dwpgrr/media/LeBra016_zps02b27317.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since there’s a ‘bit of interest on what a “bra” would look like on our new Explorers, I decided to do a QUICK test fitting today of my new cover because it’s quite warm outside, (makes the fabric more pliable). I set the LeBra out in the sun for about thirty minutes and then proceeded to do the installation. Yup, the first time on is a learning experience, but subsequent applications will be much easier. One of the tricks to remember is that the loops sewn to the cover are only used to REMOVE the clips when taking the cover OFF. Follow the illustrated directions to the letter and you shouldn’t have a problem.
I have no intention of leaving the LeBra on the Ex permanently. It will only be affixed when we do our long treks, (like back and forth to SW Florida from Western Mass). Yes, I researched all the alternatives like the clear plastic sprays and the “saran wrap” overlays. Two of the advantages of the bra are that the new covers are made of breathable vinyl and they have a cushion effect on small pebbles that the other alternatives lack. This is the third front end bra I’ve had on my various vehicles and I have never had a problem with fading or scuffing because the fact that the bras are only used on a temporary basis and removed immediately after a long trip or after a rain. After this installation I took the Explorer out for a test run. Got the speed up to 75 mph. No flapping.
My next test will be to see if the automatic parking assist or the “BLIS” sensors are affected. The LeBra instructions say “the cover MAY interfere with the proper functioning”. No mention was made of the adaptive cruise control unit which is located behind the lower part of the front grill . I believe the bra is invisible to those radar waves. It’s those two small round left and right sensors that I’m not sure about. If there is a problem, all I have to do is carefully cut out the fabric over the sensors.
As far as the aesthetics are concerned, I personally don’t mind the appearance at all. It shows my Explorer is getting some TLC !
The links are not functional.

Peter

... and I thought I was doing good!

... and I thought I was doing good!
Well you fixed it up. Link now works.
One thing for sure, it won't affect the BLIS. The BLIS radar sensors are loacted rearward of the rear wheels and hidden behind the bumper fascia. As for the Active Park Assist, I guess you'll have to test that out.
Good luck.

Peter

Like your Ex!!!!! but the LeBra on the Ex.......... it's not good!:thumbdwn:

I dont like it. Personally I have never seen a bra I like lol.. Braless is definitely the way to go!! I would have rather put the $300 towards a clear film kit which covers the same bumper, grill, half hood, side view mirrors, headlights and I believe the door handles. A couple hundred in labor and your ex is fully protected 100% of the time and you don't see it.

Best of luck with it though.

Yup !

:p:

LOL. I just KNEW that I was going to be the catalyst to bring on the “I’ve never seen a bra that I liked” crowd. Gotta love it. But don’t forget guys, I said you’ll never see my white Limited 4WD with the bra on UNLESS we’re on a l-o-n-g trip ! BTW, this is one bra that is easy to remove. 8^O (!)

looks like it fits nice, but it sure is fugly. would have went with a clear bra. 100% protection 100% of the time and practically invisible. The fact the lebra is padded really isn't a necessary benefit as the entire front end is plastic, rocks aren't denting anything, and they aren't breaking through clearbra film lol.

1-6.jpg

2-2.jpg

Wow, it now looks like my Explorer won’t be the only one out there wearing “maximum protection” on long trips. I still maintain that the bra’s cushioning effect on small road debris is better than that afforded by the 3M plastic film.
Yeah, the aesthetics is lacking but with my Ex it’s only on during road trips when we encounter all those semi behemoths throwing their gritty wakes.
BTW, nice photos of the Sport - IMHO the bra goes well with the black wheels & trim !

I have never liked those every since an early one on a shiny RED sports car I had scuffed and faded the paint so badly...
BUT, I wish we had the hood protection the other day...

someone flipped something LARGE up like a clamp or something maybe 2 inch diameter and it hit the right front hood ...

Thank goodness it hit the far right side at an angle (almost where the side marker starts) or it would have been bad !
Bad enough as it is, scratched and made a LITTLE dent - will post pics later ---

but has me rethinking the protection now !

I have never liked those every since an early one on a shiny RED sports car I had scuffed and faded the paint so badly...
BUT, I wish we had the hood protection the other day...

someone flipped something LARGE up like a clamp or something maybe 2 inch diameter and it hit the right front hood ...

Thank goodness it hit the far right side at an angle (almost where the side marker starts) or it would have been bad !
Bad enough as it is, scratched and made a LITTLE dent - will post pics later ---

but has me rethinking the protection now !
BUBBLE WRAP! :thumbsup:

Peter

2017 Front Bra

Does anybody use a bra on their 2016-2017 Explorer? We have used one only for road trips on our current car for the last 10 years, and we have so few rock chips the car still looks great. It's a Colgan which is the best brand available in my opinion. Unfortunately Colgan doesn't make one for the Explorer, which leaves only the Lebra. Does anybody use one? I know I'll get a few "those are butt ugly and so 80's" remarks, but it really saves the front end if used just for road trips.

Does anybody use a bra on their 2016-2017 Explorer? We have used one only for road trips on our current car for the last 10 years, and we have so few rock chips the car still looks great. It's a Colgan which is the best brand available in my opinion. Unfortunately Colgan doesn't make one for the Explorer, which leaves only the Lebra. Does anybody use one? I know I'll get a few "those are butt ugly and so 80's" remarks, but it really saves the front end if used just for road trips.
I've not come across anyone running an actual bra on their Explorer, but I've seen a few talking about the clear bra protection. I don't personally have it, but from what I've read it seems to work fairly well. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Explor...aint-Protection-Deluxe-Film-Kit-/321800225329

Why not get something like a Xpel Ultimate / 3M Clear Bra?

My Explorer Sport has the front wrapped in Xpel Ultimate plus behind the door handles / rear deck.

I've never seen an actual car bra on a new explorer either. I just had a 3M clear bra put on by the same place that tinted my windows. I would def recommend getting one. I just did my front bumper, headlights, inside door handles and door edges. I could have done the front of the hood and the front of the quarter panels but passed on that, got a hood deflector instead.

http://www.invisibra.net/index.html

Here is a decent website with a lot of info on clearbra. It was Norm Schilling, who did a few cleabra/tint jobs for me in the past. He retired a few years ago though. I would recommend professional installation. Make sure they wrap over edges where possible, and not leave that typical gap.

When I had Norm clearbra/tint for me, he was in Colorado. In his waiting area, he had an RX-8(?) hood hanging on the wall. It had a huge dent in it from a Ford F150 backing into it. The clearbra took the grunt of the hit, with no paint damage. Tough stuff.

Expel install. Full front bumper/grill, front of hood, mirrors, roof area above windshield, top of rear bumper, headlight covers, fog light covers.

3Mjob2-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As others have mentioned, do the clear "bra" material like the 3M or other brands. Ideally the windshield posts, mirror fronts along with hood and lower front end protection.
No flapping material at speed or the "80's look"

Back