Anyone with subs who listen to punk or metal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone with subs who listen to punk or metal?

Greaser Tony

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
It seems like everyone who wants more bass listens to rap, well maybe that's just around where I live, but I'm more into punk, psychobilly, metal, but I want to get some subs, but I don't know if it's going to sound like **** because I've never heard the type of music I listen to with subs..I can turn the bass all the way up and it sounds good with the stock setup I have but the louder it gets it gets distorted.. So basically what I want to know what would be a good route for me to go? I want to keep my cd player and speakers stock(for now) I just want some more bass to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greaser Tony said:
It seems like everyone who wants more bass listens to rap, well maybe that's just around where I live, but I'm more into punk, psychobilly, metal, but I want to get some subs, but I don't know if it's going to sound like **** because I've never heard the type of music I listen to with subs..I can turn the bass all the way up and it sounds good with the stock setup I have but the louder it gets it gets distorted.. So basically what I want to know what would be a good route for me to go? I want to keep my cd player and speakers stock(for now) I just want some more bass to it.

punk?? you needspiked hair for that right??

I have subs in my car and listen to just about everything. I love how it sounds definately an upgrade worth having. Its similar to going from a boom box to a bose stereo system.

I listen to hardcore and double bass drum runs are awsome with 12's. It is acutally better to run subs when listening to metal, there is more bass in that stuff than you would think. Get some 10's or 12's and you will be amazed

I would say get 8's or 10's made to run with a small sealed box. That will be the tighter punchy bass that you need.

i have 2 12'' subs and i listen to alot of metal, with some insane double bass drums and the subs really sound good

i listen to the heavyist of heavys, i got two twelve MA audio subs, and a 1400 watt amp. a ported sub box gives it more ooph. i tried a sealed box but it didnt sounds deep bassy thats wicked with double bass and bass guitar. its a simple box i got off the internet to. like 70 bucks.

Greaser Tony said:
what would be a good route for me to go?

Stop listening to punk.

truthfully, the music you listen to needs the subs/can utilize the subs better than the rap anyways. I never start a demonstration of my system's with rap.

the music you listen to simply isn't all there without subs

The setup on my computer consists of 2, 10" subs and 2, 8" subs, they are alright for any type of music but definately death metal is nice on them :)

yeah i listen to a lot of metal, alternative,and punk. i have 2 ma audio 12 inch subs in a band pass box and they sound good.

megadeth and rob zombie sound great with subs so i would say get them

I got 2 12's in a sealed box. I'm getting them installed today. :thumbsup:

I listen to punk/hardcore/oi and reggae rocksteady. One 10" JL Audio with 500 W in a sealed box is just enough. Not too much to be gheto fab but just enough to pull up the sound all accross the board.

I gotta figure out what I'm going to run in my 2 dr I'm buyin next week.

i ran just a 10" 1000W in my explorer and only listen to hard rock or heavy music and it sound great...when i first bought my X and quickly installed my stereo becuse i couldnt stand it without the bass.

if you listen to loud music then you NEED a sub or it'll just sound to high pitch

i have 2 infinity reference subs. they have a really good sound quality in a sealed box. i recomend 10's because they are a little tighter which makes them react faster. i listen to a lot of metal, hardcore, etc and they work very well for me. Also, a sealed box will sound better then a ported or vented box.

Infinity perfect in a 2 cu ft slot port box with 500w rms going to it. It is the perfect amount to fill in when listening to any type of rock.

i'm running one pioneer premire 12" pushed by a 1600W amp. its in a ported box.it surpised me how low some metal and punk songs are. i like slipknot a lot because of all the drums that they use.

Back