Are Bull Bars Recommended? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are Bull Bars Recommended?

I thought I would update the thread. I hit a full-sized female deer (doe) at 70 mph yesterday. The picture below shows the aftermath. The brush guard was pushed in towards the passenger headlight and fender, but I pulled it out some before taking this photo. You can see the passenger side still appears pushed in a little. It was a direct, head-on impact and the brush guard saved the vehicle. There is no damage of any kind to any body panel. Needless to say, I would recommend installing a brush guard, not a bull bar, if you are on the fence about it.

20230430_164838.jpg

I’m highly skeptical you had a full on frontal strike at 70 and that’s the damage. The amount of lever arm on the top of that guard would equate to literal tons of force.

I’m highly skeptical you had a full on frontal strike at 70 and that’s the damage. The amount of lever arm on the top of that guard would equate to literal tons of force.
You are entitled to your opinion. Like I said, it was a doe, not a buck (a heavier beast altogether). The full weight must have been just over the centerline and on the passenger side, as that side was bent in. The guard was barely touching the paint on the bumper and fender, so I pulled it out and readjusted the hardware securing it to the bottom before I took the photo I posted.

I thought I would update the thread. I hit a full-sized female deer (doe) at 70 mph yesterday. The picture below shows the aftermath. The brush guard was pushed in towards the passenger headlight and fender, but I pulled it out some before taking this photo. You can see the passenger side still appears pushed in a little. It was a direct, head-on impact and the brush guard saved the vehicle. There is no damage of any kind to any body panel. Needless to say, I would recommend installing a brush guard, not a bull bar, if you are on the fence about it.

View attachment 441553
Doesn't look bad at all. I hit a doe at 40 about 3 years ago, without any guard, needed new bumper cover, new grill, driver side headlight and fog light. It's a lot less expensive to get them with a bow or rifle than with my truck.

Back