Are factory speakers any good? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are factory speakers any good?

mhale

Reaction score
I have a '93 Limited with the premium stereo (tape deck and sub). I just replaced it with a Sony Xplod CDX-C8050X CD deck (19W RMS). I was hoping the factory sub would interface nicely, but I'm not sure what the inputs to it are. So I just ordered a MTX Thunderform sub. Are the speakers for this premium system any better than standard factory speakers? Do you know if they are 1-way, 2-way? They sound a little distorted now with the new deck. I was thinking I could adjust the low freq cutoff to them once I put in the sub, and that would sound better.

If you think I should replace them, is Crutchfield a ripoff, or do their harnesses justify the extra cost? If I replace them, what speakers have worked out well for you guys?

Thanks

------------------
93 Explorer Limited 4x4
K&N Filter, Borla exhaust, performance mass airflow sensor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Are the speakers for this premium system any better than standard factory speakers? Do you know if they are 1-way, 2-way?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
As I recently discovered, the premium (in my case JBL) system is better, but not by much. The front speakers are components (separate tweeter and woofer) but the rears are 1-way with a "wizzer" cone. I know that a good quality set of aftermarket speakers would definitely sound better than the factory rears, but the fronts sound pretty good as is.

As far as Crutchfield is concerned, I have always been extremely satisfied with my purchases from them (including the prices and quality of service). I have used several of their harnesses and they are definitely worth the extra $.

Pacman

------------------
1997 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC

Hi mhale!

Almost any aftermarket speakers will sound better than what you have, regardless if they're premium or not. You should ask whoever installed your radio if they bypassed the amplifier, or if it's powering the speakers already. If they are distorting there are two possible reasons. If the installer didn't bypass the stock amplifier in the rear, most likely your powered signal from the radio is going into your stock amplifier that's expecting a line-level (RCA) signal. If not, it most likely means that your speakers just aren't made to handle a lot of power and are distorting.

I don't really think Crutchfield is a "ripoff", I think they just charge the same amount as a retail store. Sometimes they have discounts, but the nice thing is that they DO give detailed DIY instructions, and if you get a new set of speakers, they will give you an easy to adapter harness for the speakers that snap into your system without cutting.

New speakers will sound better anyway, with better, stiffer, lighter materials, greater frequency range, and better sensitivity, for more volume per watt than stock. Don't use your head unit's frequency cut-off unless you really feel you need to. Although you're getting a new sub, the new 5x7 or 6x8 speakers will also be handling a lot of the high-end bass, that being the part of the bass that our ears here as the "tight" bass to augment the subwoofer. I would recommend at least to get a new set of fronts! You'll really appreciate the upgrade! Dead Link Removed

I recently upgraded my 4 factory 6X8's with aftermarket speakers (in this case, Pioneer). The difference was huge, much greater than I had expected. The speakers just sound cleaner, the bass is tighter, and the highs are crisp. They have a much wider frequency response than the factory speakers did. I can feel the bass, though not nearly as much as I would with a sub. The stronger highs provide much better imaging than the original speakers provided.

I realize you have a different setup than I have, but I think that you'll notice a dramatic difference as well.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

Thanks for the comments. I did bypass the amp when I installed the deck. That's when I realized I needed a new sub. I guess I'll see how they sound with the new sub. But, I'll probably get new ones, as long as I'm doing the upgrade. As always, this is costing me more money than expected.

------------------
93 Explorer Limited 4x4
K&N Filter, Borla exhaust, performance mass airflow sensor

Back