Are JBA shorty headers truly a direct fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are JBA shorty headers truly a direct fit?

jcwaters1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Ive read multiple stances on this issue, but cant come to a correct conclusion. My ex has the sohc with drivers side EGR and i have JBA headers on the way to me. i ordered part number 1674S-1 for a '98 Explorer with drivers side EGR. Will these fit without having to screw with the EGR tube too much?

or is there a simple fix to having the EGR not line up with the new headers? Like moving/bending the tube or something like that?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or the appliance gas line method? WOuld that work?

no, more the aspect of getting the EGR to line up. i've read multiple threads that say that the EGR tube doesnt clear one of the tubes on the headers. also, they come with the flanges to bolt them to the exhaust, correct?

hmm im not 100 percent sure, but i would think that if a renowned company like jba put a flange for the egr on the manifold it should work. might wanna just give them a call and ask.

just an update, it did not fit. at all. two hours of heating up the EGR and bending it to get it to fit. major pain in my @$$. now i have an unknown ticking coming from the drivers side header somewhere.

So did you ever get the headers in? im considering buying a set, i was gonna go with hedman but stainless steel JBA headers are a better investment. The shop i went to said that the JBA headers are designed to fit with the driver side EGR .

Back