Arrrrgggg Front hub stuck/frozen on 2010 4X4 v8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Arrrrgggg Front hub stuck/frozen on 2010 4X4 v8

Just did the hubs on my 2010.

The splined shaft punched in with a Hilti vibrating demolition chisel. I spent $100 on ebay and beat the hubs out of the knuckles in about five minutes with a 5 lb sledge and this:

61aoiME1CeL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

my new method is to get a steel spare from the junk yard bolt that on with no tire and beat on it with the sledge most times it comes off leaving no damage on the rim and you get a spare spare for $10.... you can also grab any size rim because you remove all the parts that require you to use a 16" or larger rim..... first time i used a damaged 15" off of a 97 ranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I had an air hammer and it made the job so easy!

Took longer to get the air hammer lined up for a few clean blows than to actually drive out the shaft, that thing’s a handful!

My new favorite power tool!

i went a bought an air hammer and it did nothing now i have an air hammer in my pile of worthless for now tools but once you remove a stuck hub and cover the new one in anti-seize the problem does not come back and a hub job turns into a 30 minute task

You beat on the end of the shaft with a block of wood and it didn't work? Did you try a real air hammer or some $6 Harbor Freight junk with the cardboard valves? Auto parts stores often lend a Chinese tool that bolts to the lugs and has a center bolt that presses in against the splined shaft. You can try and see if you can break one of those before it punches in the shaft. Just grease the threads, because that China steel will peel off in ribbons...

you lost me on the "shaft" the bearing fits into a large hole with alot of contact surface and when it gets seized you would need a really expensive professional rated air hammer and kick ass compressor

There are two things that have to come apart. The hub housing has to be removed from the round depression in the knuckle after the three screws are removed. And (on the 4 x 4's) the splined axle shaft has to be pressed free from the inner hub.

Remove the hub housing using that tool I posted the picture of, or the old rim you mentioned. The tool works great, but it's $100.

Back