• Register Today It's free!

Front Hub Stuck on Spindle HELP!

96743explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Island, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer V6 4x4
so im replacing my front drivers side wheel bearing. took off the brake caliper, pulled off the brake rotor, took off the hub bolt, and took off the 3 bolts holding the hub assembly. now I cant seem to get the damn hub assembly to slip off of the axle shaft. tried hammering it from the back (lol!) with a sledge. tried using a air hammer to the end of the axle shaft. doesn't want to budge at all. do you think I need to buy a hub puller you know the one that clamps on to the hub and pushes the axle shaft out by tightening a shaft?

any help is appreciated. ill be going at it again after work. luckily I have a buddy I can car pool with. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've replaced quite a few of these. Put two of the bolts back into the hub and bolt it back to the spindle. Then spray the crap out of the axle shft splines in the hub and let it soak. Finally, screw the axle nut on backwards until the back of the nut if flush with the axle shaft end, then hit with a sledge hammer. Works everytime for me, goodluck!

I'll give it a go tomorrow after work.

Hawaii? You ain't gettin' much sympathy from me! :)

Our Ohio winters had mine fused. Even using a torch and ample PB Blaster wouldn't budge it. Without a gear puller, I was stuck. Had to screw it every inch of the way off. But, if you think that's bad, wait till you have to put it back on! You may be luckier than me. I had no threads on the end, to pull it back through. If you can push it on far enough, the nut can pull the shaft back on. Cross your fingers on that...

We don't have auto zone or any other auto stores that loan out tools here. Just Napa and carquest. Fortunately I have a buddy that's lending me his slide hammer. I'll slaming the crap out of that hub after work today. If that doesn't do it, in pretty sure it'll have to be pressed out.....

4x rivet gun skin die and some lube also like above screw
the bolts in a little thats what i did. a hammer may work too
just a idea

It looks CarQuest around here in Minnesota does loan tools including hub pullers. It might be worth asking if your local store would be willing to help you out with something, just a thought.

Finally got the PITA hub assembly off of the axle shaft! I tried banging it out with a slide hammer, that didn't work. luckily for me I know a mechanic he came over, and hammered the crap out of it with a sledge hammer and it finally came loose. (drivers side front hub, turned the wheel to the right and banged it out from the back forward. long story short, the bearing was shot, i neglected to change it so it heat up and pretty much seized up on the axle shaft. never again will i neglect these. well theres not much you can do when youre limited on funds...

i put anti seize on the axle splines etc when i installed the new hub assembly. truck sounds super quiet now. im pretty impressed on the difference. thanks guys for the help. if anyone needs info on this matter i now have a little insight i could share.

Back