• Register Today It's free!

ATF flush drain refill

GoldMax99

Reaction score
City, State
miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Hi. I own a 2002 XLS V6 with 60k miles. On most cars this is time to flush or drain / refill the ATF. According to the Haynes repair manual this procedure is not easy on this transmission since it doesn't have a dipstick and requires a pump to refill through the drain. Has anyone come up with an easier method. What kind of ATF fluid do you all recommend for this car?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GoldMax99 said:
Hi. I own a 2002 XLS V6 with 60k miles. On most cars this is time to flush or drain / refill the ATF. According to the Haynes repair manual this procedure is not easy on this transmission since it doesn't have a dipstick and requires a pump to refill through the drain. Has anyone come up with an easier method. What kind of ATF fluid do you all recommend for this car?

Thanks.

you need a special adapter that screws into the transmission in order to fill..
i ate it and let ford do it for me when i hit 90000 on my 2002.
it cost i think $110.00 for a complete flush. well worht it..

also use synthetic of course before all the synthetic freaks LOL.. recommend it.

I thought you were suppose to flush it at 30K?

i do it once a year on average.
i bought mine with high mileage so from now on once a yearr,

Do any of you do it yourselves? Where can I buy this special pump?

A pan drop and filter change is a good way to go, a backflush is good, but a pan drop and fluid change once a year can save you $$$$ and will also result in clean/fresh ATF
Also gives you a chance to monitor any materials picked up in the filter.

How difficult is this for a 2002? My Haynes manual doesn't even provide a write-up for this procedure?

jack up truck.
remove trans pan bolts
bre prepared for a ton of red fluid to come out (large rubbermaid underbed storage container works GREAT for this)

Let it drip for 30 minutes or so.
Get under there, remove 1 bolt for filter
Replace with new filter and O rings
re-install pan. Fill with new Mercon V through the trans dipstick.

replace gasket only if its not the re-usable one.

You can go one step further and install a drain plug while the pan is off to make it easier on you next time.

410 fortune,

Thank for all your help, but I don't think that you are familiar with the 2002 tranny. This is a new no-service tranny. You can't drain and refill without a special pump. There is no dipstick on this model. If I could refill it via the dipstick I would just drain it and refill it easily. Unfortunately this is not the case for this model. It's a real ***** to service, hence the name, no-service tranny. Thanks anyways bud. I guess off to the dealer I go to get ripped off.

captain obvious,
Either is good, 30k or 60k. Depends on how hard you drive. For regular street/highway driving w/ no towing 60k is fine for the first 2 times. After 120k you can then start to do it every 30k. If you tow or offroad a lot, then 30k is recommended. just my 2 cents.

Do a search. Someone did a write up a few months back. A pan drop is not a good way to go by itself. This transmission has about an 11 quart capacity with only a few (3-4) quarts in the pan. There is no dipstick on the 5R55W, so you can only refill from the 2-part drain which does exist on this tranny. No need to add another. I've been contemplating changing/flushing mine, but haven't done it yet. You will need to get or make an adapter. It looks like a std hose adapter. The plug is in 2-parts. The outer hex removes the entire plug and a tube that sets the height/depth of the fluid. The center plug goes to the tube, this is where the adapter fits. You pump fluid in through the internal tube until it exceeds the height of the tube and drains back out. Thats how they get by without the dipstick.
If you do it yourself, let us know how it goes.

That sucks :) Another reason I'll keep my 88

If you do a pan drop and filter change often enough there is no need for a full flush IMO, if it is neglected then yes you are only getting 3 quarts or so from the pan.

Just did it at the "stealership" with filter and had them add the additive, just to be on the safe side. Probably the only service they'll ever do for me considering there's no warranty left. Don't remember walking out of there funny so I must of been ok with it. hehe. :thumbsup:

actually the service intervall is 100k on those trannys with out dipsticks, a filter change is not nessecary as well

The Haynes manual on the 2002+ Explorers has a good write up on changing the transmission fluid. Doesn't look that hard. I haven't found one of those pumps either.

it isnt a pump it is a screw in adapter that you use to fill it,
something you can stick a hose onto.

this

Attachments

• 105662271.gif
    105662271.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 983

Xzibit A said:
actually the service intervall is 100k on those trannys with out dipsticks, a filter change is not nessecary as well

Everyone knows these trannys are made of glass along with the rear diff, so i didn't have any probs dishen out $150 clams for a full tranny service. Personally I would double check your service recommendations. ;)

i had mine done last time and you can tell how they flushed it. there are the hoses connecting the cooler in the front and you can tell from looking at them that is where they flushed the fluid from..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back