• Register Today It's free!

Atlas II/Dana 44 Outer Idea

PekingMan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
OK, the Atlas II transfer case comes in 2 gear ratios for the Explorer, 3.8:1 and 4.3:1. They recommend that Explorers with a automatic tranny (mine) get the 3.8:1 ratio because you can't stop your truck with the 4.3:1 ratio. OK, fine, except the fact that I REALLY want the 4.3:1 ratio. I have wanted to put disk brakes on the 8.8 in the rear and put Dana 44 outers on the Dana 35 up front. I am wondering, though, with this brake upgrade, is the 4.3:1 ratio now reasonable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Advance Adapters Sellers List shows that there is also a 3.0:1 ratio t-case.

With the 4.3 I don't think you'd have a problem, but that is just me.

Besides, that's why there is a N in the shifter!

I don't think you would need to go to the D44 outters just for the discs. With the discs on the rear you would be more than OK.

I run the 4.3:1 in my Ex with 5.13s and a C5 auto. Granted I have D60s with big discs all around, but I don't have a problem stopping it and I'm geared lower than you are.

If you need pricing on any of the cases, let me know. I'll work out a decent deal for ya!

Sweet, it may be a little while still. I kinda need a reason/justification to the wife to buy the Atlas II. I should just tell her its essential to my happiness as a male.

Hrmm why cant somebody just engineer a 4:1 low range gear for our existing BW1536/BW4405 tcase. wouldnt be as bullet proof as atlasII but would be alot cheaper and a easy upgrade a gear shop could do maybe....?

Originally posted by soupbone
Hrmm why cant somebody just engineer a 4:1 low range gear for our existing BW1536/BW4405 tcase. wouldnt be as bullet proof as atlasII but would be alot cheaper and a easy upgrade a gear shop could do maybe....?

The BW1354 case is chain driven and the low range gear set is a planetary case.

It isn't as easy as it sounds. I'm trying to work on something like this, but it is coming up fruitless.

gotcha

i think i get it. so atlas is the only way. The klune reduction box thingy wont either Wont bolt up to BW tcase from what ive heard.

Originally posted by soupbone
The klune reduction box thingy wont either Wont bolt up to BW tcase from what ive heard.

Klune-V box will not work. They don't have any plans for the Ranger based vehicle setup either.

If you are worried about stopping your truck with an AtlasII then you could always put an emergancy brake on the output of the Atlas. Many people are doing this. In fact 4Wheel drive mag has an article on this. Should run you acouple of hundred bucks at the most to do it.

Back