Audio Controls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Audio Controls

Reaction score
City, State
Sunny So Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited
Hey I just got a 98 Limited and had a question about the deck and other audio stuff.

Is there any after market decks that will allow me to keep the steering wheel, rear audio controls, and the 6 disc changer working?

If there isn't, does the factory deck have the pre outs that I need to hook up a legit system?

If those dont work what do I need to do to set up a system and still keep all my audio controls working.

Thanks
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, there is no aftermarket deck that will work with the stock steering wheel controls or backseat controls.
No, on the preouts for the stock deck.
It would take a lot of work to get any aftermarket deck to work with the stock controls. why not just get a deck that has a steering wheel mounted remote control?

There is an adapter that you can use on an aftermarket deck so you can keep the rear/steering wheel controls. I believe they run somewhere in the $70 range. Do a search for rear controls and you should find some threads that talk about them.

I'm pretty sure there have been some threads talking about keeping cd changers as well, I just don't remember if there was a definate yes or no to that question.

As far as the pre outs go, you would need to buy line out converters to convert your speaker level output into RCA outputs. A lot of people have had problems with these, mostly hum and that sort of thing.

I encourage you to do a search for these topics, because they have been discussed on here quite a bit. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM, Email, or AIM(ShadowA2J) me at any time.

Bryan

I did a search for the adapter and didnt come up with anything helpful. Can anyone tell me the name of this adapter and give me a link of where to get it.
Thanks
Ryan

Kenwood do an add on for the steering wheel controls but not the back. I have just put one in and am looking at how to rig the rears up. But I could do with a wiring diagram. The rear controls have three wires if I can work out which does what then I may have a chance of getting it going. See here

Here's a link to the kit. http://www.go2pac.com/products/swi.htm If you have a Best Buy in your area with an install bay, I've been told that you can buy them there. Might not be the same one in the link, but something similar.

I was looking through that site, and found that any Explorer from 95-02 is supported. Also here's a list of head units not supported.

Headunits currently not supported: Sony XAV-7W, CDX-MP70, CDX-MP80, CDX-M800, CDX-M850MP, CDX-CA900X,
MEX-5DI, MEX-1HD, CDX_MD3I, CDX-M730, CDX-M770, CDX-M620, CDX-M670, CDX-CA850X, CDX-CA860X. Delphi XM SKYFI.
Note: Ford vehicles with front and rear audio controls require 2 interfaces
or any Sony stereo that uses the RM-X110 or RM-X112 remotes.

Here's a link to the a couple places I could find it online.
Dead Link Removed $59.95

Dead Link Removed $51.95

Back