• Register Today It's free!

Audio newb needs some help

mecheng2

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
I'm looking to upgrade from the basic sounds system in the '03 explorer I just bought. I would like to do a double DIN system and upgrade the speakers all around for now (a sub could be a possibility at a later time). I listen to a wide range of music, but I don't listen to my music loud enough to shake the cars next to me :) Anyways, I've found two reasonable priced HU's that I thought I would toss on here to see if anyone had comments, the reviews seem to positive on them. Also, I'm still a little fuzzy on if I will need an amp or not. If I am just upgrading the speakers would it be worthwhile to add an amp, or would I only need one if I want a sub at a later date? for right now I would like to keep the setup under $500 for the HU, new speakers, and possibly an amp. Suggestions are welcome and thanks for the help!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18600_Sony+WX-GT77UI.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17681_Clarion+CX609.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had two 12" kickers, with a 1200 watt amp. and i cheap ol' walmart hu. i never had the time to get new door speakers. but i had been looking at some rockford fosgates. but as for the sound, it sounded great for rap.. i had to turn the gain on the amp down just to be able to hear the mids and highs. as for rock, it sounded simply amazing, but again i had to have the gain way down. but it was worth it. all im trying to say is that an expensive hu is not always needed. everything cost me around 300

are you dead set on a double din set up ?

i just posted on another thread about my buddy's new set up, and he spent a complete total of less then 400$ for everything with shipping prices included...

No, I'm not dead set on a double DIN, but just kinda figure if the space is there...why not use it?? What thread did you recently post on?

when ur looking for a HU youll want it to have a decent volt output. 4volt is pretty good. and youll want front rear and sub rca outputs. those will be for if u wanna hook up amps. and for ipod connection i like the rear usb connection. i have an alpine ida-x303 HU and i have the ipod cord going into my glove box just so it stays out of the way. as for speakers.. a regular HU puts out 14-19rms per speaker. so u get 60 rms speakers... thats not gonna be enough power for them to runn efficiently. id amp them up itll be louder and sound a lot better. alpine type s 5x7's sound pretty damn good and they cost about 80$ i think? and alpine sells a power pack that amps up all of its HU's power to 45 rms per speaker. the power pack makes it easy becaus eu dont have to buy a whole amp kit and amp.

Back