Audiobahn is garbage? Say what?

KEbert

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I just went to a local stereo shop and I was talking to the guy about subs. I told him I wanted an Audiobahn sub and amp and he said that it was complete garbage. He said, "you find them a lot at flea markets and they are really cheap".
Why would he say this? I have a hard time thinking someone is biased against car audio stuff, but I guess he is. Oh yeah, he said that MTX 6000's are way better that the AW series and it was impossible to bypass the factory amp. I don't think he knows much about car audio. It makes you wonder how people are that gullible to buy stuff from a guy that doesn't know much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't buy anything from there. That guy is obviously a moron.

Hey leenjen, I say we go burn that place down. :)

I left that place with my jaw down to my knees. It seems like everyone around here has never heard of or seen anything made by Audiobahn. And the whole thing about not being able to bypass the amp? I went in there looking for the harness but he said all I can do is rewire the whole system. And he was happy to do that for me for a whopping 180 dollars. What an idiot!

Personally, I haven't heard anything magical about audiobahn.... Other than leenjen goin off about how good they are...

factory amp

I've done some talking to some guys at a couple of local audio shops and from what I can gather is that to bypass the factory amp you would have to run new wire. There is a kt you can buy to use the factory amp. My question is what about replacing the stock amp?? Could you use the same wiring and just replace the amp?? If someone could help us clear this up it would be a big help.

~Andy

Hey look my 100th post!! SWEET!!

Why not just totally remove the factory sub & amp from the rear compartment like I did. Get a better one.

just my .02 of a dollar but

has anyone else noticed it seems every "audio guy" at any store has his best/worst company predietermined? The worst always seems to be something they dont carry (or carry much of), and the best is always " (insert company name here) .... its what I have in my car".

That pretty much goes without saying! Shops will always recommend what they carry as "the best". Remember their interests are not always the same as your interests.

Re: factory amp

If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that the stock amp doesn't use the same voltages as a regular amp.
I wouldn't use the factory wiring anyways. The power wire would be too small and all that. You might could use the factory wiring to the from the amp to the speakers if you don't get a much more powerful amp. You'd still need to run a power, remote, RCA's, and a ground wire though.

There is indeed a factory amp bypass that Metra makes as part of their Ford Explorer install kit. This allows you to use the factory speaker wiring and power the speakers with your new head unit. The kit that lets you use the factory amps is the one for the JBL system. It lets you keep the JBL speakers, sub and amps when you add a new head unit. That one is made by Peripheral, I believe.

peace

Mike

most people that have never been to an IASCA or USAC competition haven't heard of audiobahn. i've never seen audiobahn at a flea market (maybe he was thinking of something like American Pro..).

there are a lot of great car audio manufacturers out there that many people dont know about (Audiobahn, Orion, Memphis, Phoenix Gold, Earthquake, MA Audio, Focal, Xtant, Diamond Audio, Cadence, Zapco, Audiomobile, etc... the list goes on and on...).

i used to have an Audiobahn system and i loved it. i'm going to put another one in soon.

The shop that I normally got to, not this one, sells Eclipse. You'd think the guy gets paid twenty buck for every time he says that they are the best. I think it is alright stuff, really expensive though.

hey, we posted at the same time. no wonder why i didnt notice your post.

Leenjen, ever heard of Autotech? It is a brand that one of my Stereo guru buddies told me to buy a couple years ago, it does the job, but now I want to pump up the power to my 2 JL W0's wired in series, any suggestions for a decent price?

no, i've never dealt with autotek.
if you have a limited budget, try profile. their amps are pretty good for the price, and the W0's dont need a lot of power.

My autotek "street machine" is bridged right now giving my w0's a little over 100 watts a piece in 8 ohm, but I am thinking of using these on the Oz 5.25 " components I have in my doors, I am kinda past the stereo stage, but kinda think I should give those some power, they are a $460 price tag on the speaker, I got them for nothin and coincedently had 5.25" rockford components in my doors aftermarket that were blown, lemme know what you think I should do, Pm or post either or
Thanks
Dan

Hey leenjen, do you know where I can get the harness to bypass the amp. I cant find it anywhere. I just want to use my HU for power. I will probably never use an amp for my 6x8's so the HU should be fine. I do want a sub in the future but that shouldn't have anything to do with it right?

Oh yeah, I forgot. I want an AUDIOBAHN SUB!

You can get the bypass at Circut City or Best Buy. I know because i just bought one.

Later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have to disagree with that. I did a sub box with a plexiglass window on it for a pair of there subs. I do not remember the model but they had a cast basket that was chromed and dual voice coils if I remeber and were 12 inchers. They were powered by a Xtant 1000 watt amp. This was my first experiance with there product nd those subs hit like a ton of bricks.

Back