auto 4x4 clunk | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

auto 4x4 clunk

tursky4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer
today i was on some loose gravel and i hit the gas a little harder than i wanted... the 4x4 kicked in and i felt and heard a loud clunk in the front end.. im hoping this was just the front wheels grabbing but i have noticed it before... anyone else have this happen.. im trying to get it figured out before winter comes and the 4x4 will be kicking in when the snow hits

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

today i was on some loose gravel and i hit the gas a little harder than i wanted... the 4x4 kicked in and i felt and heard a loud clunk in the front end.. im hoping this was just the front wheels grabbing but i have noticed it before... anyone else have this happen.. im trying to get it figured out before winter comes and the 4x4 will be kicking in when the snow hits

That's pretty much what happened. I experience it when in 4x4 auto with snow and if I'm spinning too much, I just pop it in 4x4 Hi to avoid the clunking.

Mine does the same thing if I have it in auto and the rear wheels start to slip. I always thought it was a little too violent so if I'm on a snow covered road I put it in 4x4 high to avoid this too.

Mines been doin the same for a long while now, never remember it being anywhere near buttery anyway... Does it clunk/jump when your WOT?

yes.. i was thinking about it and thought maybe it was a bad cv joint.. maybe one or both of my cv joints are bad and have play in them... but its no where near buttery thats for sure.. it definitely grabs when it kicks in tho..

and just to be clear "wot" means without traction right?

Back