Auto body questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto body questions

Razielnikkelle9892

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 ford explorer
Okay, so im very young, an myy parent gave me 92 xlt explorer. Truck being from iowa, it has major rust issues. The dog leg section underneath my passenger doors are GONE. Im considering to keep welding metal to it, but it wouldnt maintain the 1st gen body type that i want to keep. Now i know it isnt as simple as to just replace quarter panels, cuz the whole side is one piece. Sooooo what im trying to figure out, is if i should keep welding it, or if i cut off a piece from another explorer, which seem too be rare in iowa . As for the rear fenders, theres rust on the fender, but not in the wheel well. I have repainted the whole thing, so its army green in some spots. But as for the rust, should i leave it? Or try to patch it up. I want to keep it for ever, cuz ive put so much work into personalizing it, and theres soooo much rust, and it boggles my mind. Any tricks would be helpful, and if you know anyone whos got ford explorer parts sitting around, let me kno! Thanks!

rockauto.com has both sides for rocker panels and the dog legs as well as rear quarters. it is best to remove the rusty section and replace it with new steel as once the rust starts it can't be stopped.

Back