Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know tow/haul mode does those things. Also seems to me the ECU would try to put safeguards in place if a trailer (or fake trailer) was attached without selecting tow/haul. Kind of like how Eco will give you full tilt if you mash the throttle. It does better if you select the right mode, but it will try to account for the situation it’s actually experiencing.
I have pulled my trailer many times w/o using trailer mode.

“Tricking” the computers into thinking you have a trailer attached seems like a gamble with a $50,000 piece of machinery. How do you know it’s not remapping throttle, engine performance, and transmission performance to account for the potential extra load of your fake trailer? What if confusing the ECU puts unnecessary wear on the drivetrain?

Nothing is remapped unless you have tow/haul mode on.

Peter

I mean, I get they have designed the system for this, but I mean there has to be some extra wear tear on everything. So when auto stop enables, does it stop your trans torq converter from spinning? Does your motor completely stop, or does it just shut off spark/fuel and the engine keeps spinning?

If you shut off spark and fuel, there will be no energy source to keep the engine running. Everything would be completely stopped, including the torque converter.

It amazes me that the new starter motors are designed so ruggedly, and that they can start so easily and quickly, and seamlessly. I don't have such a truck yet, but from what I hear the system works so well and the fuel savings are significant, I wouldn't be disabling it.

If you shut off spark and fuel, there will be no energy source to keep the engine running. Everything would be completely stopped, including the torque converter.

It amazes me that the new starter motors are designed so ruggedly, and that they can start so easily and quickly, and seamlessly. I don't have such a truck yet, but from what I hear the system works so well and the fuel savings are significant, I wouldn't be disabling it.

on my buddies18 raptor it doesn’t sound or feel good when restarting at 42k miles. when it was new and I drove it, was pretty silent and fine. Even my focus RS wasn’t tooo bad but it had low miles. The raptor at 42k is loud and very big vibrations in auto start/stop :/

Comparing an '18 MY Raptor to a new '20 MY Explorer just doesn't cut it. The technology is vastly improved. There are two different gear set ups in the present day ASS. Wished I'd saved the link that explains it. The ASS system uses a low speed gear to spin the engine IIRC. The other gear kicks in when the start button is pushed.

Installed the ASS override module this afternoon. Not a one beer project. More like two sips. It goes in that fast. NOTE:
This device is not compatible with rear wheel drive only vehicles.
Works with all ST and Platinum trims. Requires "Intelligent 4 Wheel Drive" option on XLT and Limited trims.

All the hate over something so benign reminds me of the goofballs who couldn’t get over fuel injection and ABS. Start-stop doesn’t hurt anything. At worst it adds wear to the starter and battery, while saving engine life, and keep you car from running in its least efficient state.

All the hate over something so benign reminds me of the goofballs who couldn’t get over fuel injection and ABS. Start-stop doesn’t hurt anything. At worst it adds wear to the starter and battery, while saving engine life, and keep you car from running in its least efficient state.

I find It really annoying when it turns off. If it was in LA or Phoenix traffic where it was hours a day of dead lock traffic then I’d be okay, but I’m in a medium sized town with some stop lights....

Installed the ASS override module this afternoon. Not a one beer project. More like two sips. It goes in that fast. NOTE:
This device is not compatible with rear wheel drive only vehicles.
Works with all ST and Platinum trims. Requires "Intelligent 4 Wheel Drive" option on XLT and Limited trims.

[/URL]

mine should be here today! The company gives discounts to forum members if someone wants to reach out? I can later today if no one does, it’s a 15% off discount.

"You drive yours, and I'll drive mine !" ................ :smokin: No, ASS doesn't hurt anything and, it will over time help with fuel mileage. Please note .......... ASS is a placebo. Designed to placate the mandated gov fuel stds. Nothing more, nothing less. If it were not for gov't intervention, it would not exist. You, sir, are in a minority with your dissertation. There is, in fact, a reason it is not in the PIU. Nor for that matter any PPV, be it Ford, GM or, Dodge. Care to guess who has one of the largest carbon footprints? Duh!

"You drive yours, and I'll drive mine !" ................ :smokin: No, ASS doesn't hurt anything and, it will over time help with fuel mileage. Please note .......... ASS is a placebo. Designed to placate the mandated gov fuel stds. Nothing more, nothing less. If it were not for gov't intervention, it would not exist. You, sir, are in a minority with your dissertation. There is, in fact, a reason it is not in the PIU. Nor for that matter any PPV, be it Ford, GM or, Dodge. Care to guess who has one of the largest carbon footprints? Duh!

Driving styles with police are far different then the normal population. Their electrical demand is far higher too which I am sure is one reason the engine stays running. On top of that, regardless of how little it takes to restarts, police need to be able to go on the spot 100% of the time. So I can completely understand why the PIU does not have AS/S on it.

.............You, sir, are in a minority with your dissertation..................
Or, perhaps we are just the silent majority. ;) I have absolutely no issue with the feature.

Peter

It’ll eventually be standard in every single civilian vehicle (comparing police vehicles to civilian models is pointless). If it didn’t make a difference, they wouldn’t bother with it. They are now down to chipping away at fractions of a MPG because they have squeezed out every bit of efficiency they can. I’m not in the vast majority, I’m positive those modules are in less than 5% of the vehicles on the road. You just see more people crying and throwing temper tantrums about it. The majority of people think it’s weird, and then get over it. A good auto start system is almost imperceptible. If the Ford system is so obtrusive it’s nothing more than garbage engineering. (Shocker)

I personally find it "almost imperceptible". I'd say that at least half the time it the Start/Stop feature doesn't even 'kick in' for various reasons, I guess.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drove rental cars with them years ago that were great. I drove the one half a day before I realized what was actually happening.

Back