Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

Glad y'all enjoy it. As I said, it is simply the result of the auto industry submitting to the governments of the world. Simply a subtle form of communism IMHO. Next, it will be your car won't start if your seatbelt isn't on. The sensors and systems are already in place. Just not active ................ Yet. Which is why I will be disconnecting the onboard modem. Ford can keep it's over the air downloads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's one, different subject; what to do when the USPS decides it doesn't like the roll away accidents which still happen from time to time?

The drivers in those instances should be punished, they are the problem. So why instead punish the entire work force of more than a million employees. That's the answer they came up with, they want every PO driver to curb the wheels of their work vehicle, upon every stop. No matter the surface, flat or inclined, they think forcing everyone to curb the wheels all the time, will solve roll away accidents.

A vehicle doesn't roll away by itself unless you leave it in gear, or the parking mechanism breaks. Someone tell me how many times you have had any vehicle break out of park on its own, broken part or otherwise. I've never seen or heard of it first hand.

Now ponder this; what happens if you do get everyone to curb their wheels each time they get out of the car. Remember, this is say 40-50+ times a days for most PO vehicles. How often is one person somewhere, going to accidentally forget they curbed the wheels, and take off quickly with the wheels turned? That is going to be an accident, but who's fault is it, what caused it really?

I say the new rule will not really stop roll away accidents, but it will create many accidents as I just described. That's what is wrong with a nanny state, morons sitting around thinking up new rules, to increase safety.

My fears may be unwarranted, but I'm concerned about the lack of oil pressure during the cycle and the possibility of it not starting in a critical situation.

My fears may be unwarranted, but I'm concerned about the lack of oil pressure during the cycle and the possibility of it not starting in a critical situation.
The motor isn’t running, so oil pressure is irrelevant. I bet vehicles stall trying to leave an intersection as often as auto starts fail to start.

Glad y'all enjoy it. As I said, it is simply the result of the auto industry submitting to the governments of the world. Simply a subtle form of communism IMHO. Next, it will be your car won't start if your seatbelt isn't on. The sensors and systems are already in place. Just not active ................ Yet. Which is why I will be disconnecting the onboard modem. Ford can keep it's over the air downloads.
It’s not remotely communism. You can buy any vehicle you choose, including ones with virtually no safety features. It’s capitalism. If these things were so terrible no one would buy the vehicles. The truth is YOU are in the minority. By far.

The motor isn’t running, so oil pressure is irrelevant. I bet vehicles stall trying to leave an intersection as often as auto starts fail to start.

Yeah, if the motor isn't running, there will be no oil pressure. That is normal.

I don't have ASS, because the newest I have is a 2008 Explorer. However, after I learned a bit more about the ASS system I'm not afraid of it. If your vehicle is going to have trouble starting during an ASS activation, it probably would have shown signs of trouble when first starting the vehicle. Apparently the starters are totally redesigned for the ASS system and are much more robust.

I'm more concerned about the general electronics in vehicles, especially features that must be accessed through the touch screen. One touch screen failure and all those functions are inaccessible. We drove a 2014 Explorer while the 2008 was in for an insurance claim. The seat heaters were accessible only through the screen. Mine was getting burning hot and had to ask my wife to find it on the screen to turn it off. Imagine what a problem I'd be in if she weren't there? I don't want to have to hunt for screens while driving! If you ask me, seat heater control through a touch screen is the ultimate ASS technology.

Agreed. However it seems like the most wear is put on an engine during the start cycle when the engine is spun prior to the presence of sufficient oil pressure to lubricate rings and bearings. AS/S generates many more start cycles where this could be an issue. Also the turbos are spinning at very high RPM and heat when oil pressure is removed. I was always told to allow a bit of time after driving and prior to shut down to allow turbos to spin down and heat to dissipate so as not to coke the turbo charger bearings. Perhaps the oiling system has an auxiliary electric pump or there is other means to ensure the repeated start cycles don't have a negative effect on the engine. Absent direct knowledge of that I would choose not to generate extra stop/start cycles.

Most wear is put on the engine during a "COLD" startup. Lubrication with the AS/S should not be an issue as outlined in various articles due to the engine technology.

Peter

Agreed. However it seems like the most wear is put on an engine during the start cycle when the engine is spun prior to the presence of sufficient oil pressure to lubricate rings and bearings. AS/S generates many more start cycles where this could be an issue. Also the turbos are spinning at very high RPM and heat when oil pressure is removed. I was always told to allow a bit of time after driving and prior to shut down to allow turbos to spin down and heat to dissipate so as not to coke the turbo charger bearings. Perhaps the oiling system has an auxiliary electric pump or there is other means to ensure the repeated start cycles don't have a negative effect on the engine. Absent direct knowledge of that I would choose not to generate extra stop/start cycles.

Hey Spacey, I read in this forum somewhere that the turbos were water cooled so coking is less of a concern. I'm in the deactivate camp (don't care if anyone thinks I wear an aluminum foil hat). Cycles=wear=eventual failure. Just sayin.

There are three situations where AS/S gives me grief. Waiting on a busy road to make a left hand turn, coming to a stop to back in somewhere to park, and parking front-in. The first situation feels dangerous, the second is merely annoying since the engine is only stopped long enough to turn the gear selector, the third I've learned to just hit the Start button to park the transmission instead of turning the knob and listening to the poor engine start again just to be immediately shut back off.

There are three situations where AS/S gives me grief. Waiting on a busy road to make a left hand turn, coming to a stop to back in somewhere to park, and parking front-in. The first situation feels dangerous, the second is merely annoying since the engine is only stopped long enough to turn the gear selector, the third I've learned to just hit the Start button to park the transmission instead of turning the knob and listening to the poor engine start again just to be immediately shut back off.

All of these are valid complaints for me but I'm learning to live with this along with auto-hold on at all times. With auto-hold at a complete stop, I've learned that one tap on the gas pedal will start the engine and a second tap is to disengage the auto-hold. For me the benefits of both outweigh those confused moments for the Transformer I mean Explorer. LOL

Perhaps the AS/S setup tuning in the Explorer is a little different than the Aviator. I always back into parking spots and have never had the feature 'kick in'. As for the Auto Hold, I found that a bit too intrusive and disabled it.

Peter

Auto Hold adds a whole new dimension to the AS/S stuff. With Auto Hold on, you lose another fraction of a second in your "launch" since it won't start until you depress the accelerator. At least with Auto Hold off, it is started by the time you move your foot from the brake.

Installed my TRL ASS yesterday. Wasn't too bad. Only drove hwy today, so really haven't had any DD experience. I'll post up again after a bit. Hardest part was finding the plug, it is kind of buried in there.

If you pull the steering shroud, and are at the driver door looking in. There is a big gray plug on the underside, it is to the right (passenger side) of that plug. However it being black and dark in that area is hard to see unless you are at the right angle. I followed the video and it was decently spot on.

Isn't that the brake controller connector?

Peter

Mine went in yesterday too. Lov'n it. ST seems to accelerate better. It doesn't feel quite as sluggish coming off the line. Makes me wonder if the AS/S doesn't retard the timing on start up to prevent any mechanical damage.

Perhaps the AS/S setup tuning in the Explorer is a little different than the Aviator. I always back into parking spots and have never had the feature 'kick in'. As for the Auto Hold, I found that a bit too intrusive and disabled it.

Peter
Mine never did engage backing either. Only when going forward.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I built and priced a 2020 ST just now.

I noticed the engine information said it has the dreaded "auto start-stop technology."

Does anyone know if this feature can be deactivated? If so, does it need to be deactivated every time you initially start the vehicle or can you permanently get rid of it? I am going to have Unleashed Tuning perform my tune as usual. I'm curious if the answer to the above questions is NO, will I have to rely on my tune to disable it.

I currently have a 2014 Exploder Sport and it thankfully does not have this "technology."

Any information will be appreciated.

I pretty much rent a car every other week throughout the year. I know how much Chevy's rides suck with that feature. It is so annoying at traffic lights. Especially when it is hot outside and the AC starts to blow warm air until the light turns green and the engine starts again. GGGGrrrrrr.

Buzz
5 star will deactivate in their calibrations if you ask them to
Ask them to enable the transmission gear show it shows after the PRNDM(2) like this
Do not know why Ford chose to deactivate it in normal driving modes
I have a 2020 ST with their tunes & really made a difference:dunno:

Back