Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As far as not cutting the engine anytime the brake is pressed, it could have to do with the regenerative braking system which produces energy when braking.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are in the minority evidently based on the responses on this and a number of other forums to which I am a member. Even on the F-150 forum, those that have it do not like it. I for one do not like having to override it when waiting at a rr crossing in 101* heat here in TX. Having AS-S should be an opt in vs opt out feature. IMHO

You are in the minority evidently based on the responses on this and a number of other forums to which I am a member. Even on the F-150 forum, those that have it do not like it. I for one do not like having to override it when waiting at a rr crossing in 101* heat here in TX. Having AS-S should be an opt in vs opt out feature. IMHO
It CAN’T be an opt in opt out feature. It’s used to boost fleet mileage with the EPA in which the standard is that it has to be a momentary, non-latching circuit.

Less people have a problem than you’d believe. People like to complain about things. Just like it’s easier to find negative reviews than positive, or more so neutral reviews. What about the MILLIONS of people who AREN’T online crying about this feature?

This thread was fascinating to read. I can't fathom being against this feature, as I've also drive a hybrid daily and have gotten used to my idling being actually idle. I also wish this were retrofittable as was said earlier because sitting at a light burning gas needlessly has started to irritate me. Then again, the hybrid doesn't need the engine to kicks back on to get going.
Curious if anyone has encountered any stories of this actually leading to a bad situation? I've had a few close-for-comfort encounters with would-be rear-enders but I don't get the fear of not jumping the gate fast enough in the other hypothetical situations put forward.
Also- for those with a better sense of the particulars- what's the sense in waiting for the vehicle to come to a complete stop before engaging the 'stop'? If the 'start' is as fast as they say, couldn't it just cut the engine any time the brake is pressed?
It wouldn’t be cost effective to retrofit.

It CAN’T be an opt in opt out feature. It’s used to boost fleet mileage with the EPA in which the standard is that it has to be a momentary, non-latching circuit.

Less people have a problem than you’d believe. People like to complain about things. Just like it’s easier to find negative reviews than positive, or more so neutral reviews. What about the MILLIONS of people who AREN’T online crying about this feature?
Yes, I am well aware of its purpose. I will not though be drawn into the politics behind it.

Yes, I am well aware of its purpose. I will not though be drawn into the politics behind it.
There’s nothing to be drawn into. It’s black and white.

If you say so ...........
rofl.gif

I’m talking about the federal regulations, which are absolute.

This thread was fascinating to read. I can't fathom being against this feature, as I've also drive a hybrid daily and have gotten used to my idling being actually idle. I also wish this were retrofittable as was said earlier because sitting at a light burning gas needlessly has started to irritate me. Then again, the hybrid doesn't need the engine to kicks back on to get going.
Curious if anyone has encountered any stories of this actually leading to a bad situation? I've had a few close-for-comfort encounters with would-be rear-enders but I don't get the fear of not jumping the gate fast enough in the other hypothetical situations put forward.
Also- for those with a better sense of the particulars- what's the sense in waiting for the vehicle to come to a complete stop before engaging the 'stop'? If the 'start' is as fast as they say, couldn't it just cut the engine any time the brake is pressed?
There’s nothing to be drawn into. It’s black and white.

Spoken like a true expert.
BTW Expert = Ex A has been Spurt a drip under pressure.

Spoken like a true expert.
BTW Expert = Ex A has been Spurt a drip under pressure.
What....... let’s try something intelligible next time, eh?

And YET AGAIN. I’m talking about regulations. Say it with me REAL slow. R-e-g-u-l-a-t-I-o-n. Following along yet? Regulations are black and white as to WHY it can’t stay off.

Just my point.
You are the one that posted a lame, unhumorous drivel as a dig.

As for me cracking under any pressure ( I think that’s what your feeble attempt was alluding too) you clearly know nothing about me.

As am I. And with any luck, they will be rolled back further.
How are they not black and white? It specifically calls out how the circuit must operate. I’m not speaking to the opinion that these regulations SHOULD be in place.

...and should be banned from this section for driving a '98 Mountaineer and arguing over the new tech;)
Yeah, because I can’t follow the basic logic of your amazing underwhelmingly engineered vehicle because I drive an older Mounty. GREAT point. This is the kind of stuff people revert to when they have absolutely no points left.

This is a public forum. I’ll post anywhere I please. Got a problem? I suggest you do something about it.

Yeah, because I can’t follow the basic logic of your amazing underwhelmingly engineered vehicle because I drive an older Mounty. GREAT point. This is the kind of stuff people revert to when they have absolutely no points left.

This is a public forum. I’ll post anywhere I please. Got a problem? I suggest you do something about it.

Notice the 'wink' at the end of that, Einstein...? A little levity since a couple of you appear to have your panties all wadded up over a minor feature that can be easily sidestepped. In the meantime, we'll keep on enjoying our "underwhelmingly engineered" vehicles...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back