Auto stop stopped stopping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto stop stopped stopping

Spacey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Wondering if anyone else has had this "problem". Many, including myself don't like this feature and I always find myself turning it off every time I drive away. Yesterday I forgot to do it and noticed after stopping at an intersection the 2020 ST no longer shuts the engine off even though Auto Stop is enabled. For at least two days now when I stop the vehicle the engine keeps running and an Auto Stop display with a line through it appears on the dashboard. I cycled the selector button numerous times and the vehicle notifies me that I have cycled the button, but it keeps running when stopped. I checked the manual and there are numerous things that can cause Auto Stop to stop stopping, but all except weather and battery state of charge are associated with things the driver must do to cause this and I have not done any of them. The weather in Southern California isn't the issue. I put the car on a battery tender to charge so we'll see if that has any effect. Even though this is an unwanted feature for me, not having it function per design would point to a failure that could cause other issues later, so I would prefer to have it work. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the the car is still warming up or if the the off on feature won't work.

Nope. Following our same route. Sixty degrees F outside and about 4 miles of continuous running before first stop where it should shut off. It doesn't. Finished the battery charge cycle and will try it again tomorrow to see if that solves it. The vehicle showed no signs of low battery charge and started fine after being garaged for four days, so I'm not hopeful, but we'll see.

Assuming the engine is at normal operating temps, then I'd take it to the dealer. Mine didn't work and they had to replace the battery.

400 GST STS AUTO START STOP DOESNT WORK AND THE ENGINE ON CHARGING WARNING IS ON.
6501 W0.00 1BAGM*48H6*760 BATTERY CORE CHARGE
MESSAGE CENTER SHOWS AUTO/START STOP DISABLED DUE TO BATTERY CHARGING.
PERFORM' BATTERY TEST, CHARGE, AND RETEST BATTERY FAILED GRX TESTER DTC 9G0 04NO ACES FEOGP. REMOVE COWL TO ACCESS BATTERY, REMOVE AND REPLACE FAILED BATTERY.

My battery didn't show low either.

It sounds like there may be an issue with it. If so, it's the first one that has been brought up.

Peter

Could be an electrical hiccup. I wouldn't be too worried unless you're actually worried about it possibly leading to other electrical issues. 2020 is an odd year after all. Not for cars, but in life in general.

I would imagine though it not coming on is probably the same as you disabling it. Maybe the actual "button/circuit" controlling such feature went bad.

Not saying there isn’t a problem, but there’s quite a few things that could keep it from turning off.

1) less than full engine temp as mentioned
2) wheels turned left or right
3) heavy electrical or climate control load
4) tow haul mode, and I think a few others
5) trailer connected or something else plugged into trailer wire connector

Not saying there isn’t a problem, but there’s quite a few things that could keep it from turning off.

1) less than full engine temp as mentioned
2) wheels turned left or right
3) heavy electrical or climate control load
4) tow haul mode, and I think a few others
5) trailer connected or something else plugged into trailer wire connector

As to number 5 I've heard a people disabling it on purpose by using a 4 wire test plug. One like this. Not sure if it works as I haven't tried it.

1613961179009.png

I have the auto start/stop eliminator installed and there were a few times this winter so far, that stopped working and we would feel the engine turn off at a light. THen a drive later that day it would be working again.....

You can check status of start/stop on dashboard ( you need to add it from menu) it says why it running or stop

Wondering if anyone else has had this "problem". Many, including myself don't like this feature and I always find myself turning it off every time I drive away. Yesterday I forgot to do it and noticed after stopping at an intersection the 2020 ST no longer shuts the engine off even though Auto Stop is enabled. For at least two days now when I stop the vehicle the engine keeps running and an Auto Stop display with a line through it appears on the dashboard. I cycled the selector button numerous times and the vehicle notifies me that I have cycled the button, but it keeps running when stopped. I checked the manual and there are numerous things that can cause Auto Stop to stop stopping, but all except weather and battery state of charge are associated with things the driver must do to cause this and I have not done any of them. The weather in Southern California isn't the issue. I put the car on a battery tender to charge so we'll see if that has any effect. Even though this is an unwanted feature for me, not having it function per design would point to a failure that could cause other issues later, so I would prefer to have it work. Any thoughts?
Congratulations !! Please let us know how you did that. Would love to copy ! 👍

Issue resolved. After charging the battery the Auto Stop works as expected and I can now resort to turning it off after starting the car. I guess the car doesn't get driven enough to keep the battery charged, or maybe the battery is failing. Sorry for those who were looking for a permanent solution.

Now that it is working like it should, get yourself an 2020-2021 Ford Explorer Autostop Eliminator and never worry about it anymore.
I put one on my wifes Edge ST and she loves it.
I have the autostop eliminator and it works 98% of the time, but randomly this winter it wouldn't. Now that it is 20+f degrees out, it is fine. However it is sooooo nice to have it just off all the time.

Last week during the cold spell, hers did not work a couple of times. But now that we are above freezing it works fine again.

Issue resolved. After charging the battery the Auto Stop works as expected and I can now resort to turning it off after starting the car. I guess the car doesn't get driven enough to keep the battery charged, or maybe the battery is failing. Sorry for those who were looking for a permanent solution.
So it may be just a matter of time before it stops working again if you don't drive enough to keep the battery charged up. Perhaps that is also why mine has not engaged as well. I also don't drive much and have had to put the charger on it twice within the past 3 months. Maybe that was all you had to do with your previous battery. I can tell when the battery gets low because the securicode pad no longer lights up and instead of getting the symphonic chimes, I get the regular Ford chimes. ;)

Peter

So it may be just a matter of time before it stops working again if you don't drive enough to keep the battery charged up. Perhaps that is also why mine has not engaged as well. I also don't drive much and have had to put the charger on it twice within the past 3 months. Maybe that was all you had to do with your previous battery. I can tell when the battery gets low because the securicode pad no longer lights up and instead of getting the symphonic chimes, I get the regular Ford chimes. ;)

Peter

Sometimes if I don't drive for a few days I just start my car via Fordpass remotely. Leave the engine running for 10 minutes or can extend it for another 10 minutes just to make sure that battery level is not low.

I think you might be better off driving than letting it idle if the following is true.
"Starting the engine draws 100 to 130 amps, and idling the car for 15 minutes might put back three or four amps," Brown-Harrison says. "If you're idling only for 15 to 20 minutes, the battery never truly gets recharged. So each time you start and leave it to idle, the charge will get lower and lower and lower."

I'll sometimes take the long way to the grocery store turning a 5 minute drive into a 20 minute one just to try and get the battery charged up a little.

Peter

I have the autostop eliminator and it works 98% of the time, but randomly this winter it wouldn't. Now that it is 20+f degrees out, it is fine. However it is sooooo nice to have it just off all the time.
Approx. how much does the autostop eliminator cost ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back