Auto to Man Hub conversion.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto to Man Hub conversion....

I know more than 2 of you guys have done this conversion. Living in the north east and doign minor wheelin i have spun my Auto hubs and going back to college, i will need those hubs working once again. Now the ? where in the world can i get this conversion kit cause my normal mechanic says they are no where to be found but on this page we have the instructions, and the part number. Now where can i order this part from a Ford dealer?

This is needed ASAP. I leave for college in 1 week and i dont have access to tools up there. So PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,
Nick

PS Guys watch out. Your truck knows when you stop visiting this page. You think its a joke? Well for 2 yrs the truck was fine, now since december. Ive had more probs than anything. Exhust totally falling off... Spun hubs... major front end work... dead batery... getting hit in a parking lot... fog light harness melts... tcase probs... and the list continues. If i didnt have a Ford i'd call those normal wear and tear. But i do so thats not normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both warn and milemarker and now I hear someone else (cant remember who) make this kit, you will need the hub and conversion kit any off road dealer should have them I know autozone has the milemarkers I think napa has the warns proably somewhere cheaper.Check online, Im from Canada so not sure about other options.

Warn MileMarker and ProComp make them for the Explorer.

You can order the kit from 4wp. Give their 800 a call and they can order them for you.

Once again the guys on this site i must applaud you!

My parts for my conversion just arrived on my front door. Thanks for helping out in a time of need. I'll let you know how i like these hubs. Should be about 100% better than those stock plastic hubs.

What brand hubs did you get? Just curious Im looking at the Milemarkers.

Todd,
I ended up with the Warn hubs. In the past Ive had pretty good expirences with Warn and these were the right price.
Im sure you'll get someone out there sayin BUT the US gov't uses MileMarker so... its all personal choice.
I do have a 'beater' vehicle, a Suzuki Samurai and i cant even tell you who makes those hubs but Ive beat the tar out of that for well over a year and the hubs have been very reliable. NEVER exploded one, or got it frozen. But then you can argue its only a 4 banger...

4 words sum it all up.
ITS ALL PERSONAL CHOICE!!

If you like MileMarker stick with them. I have heard good stuff about thier products.

Have a great day,

huhs

The cheapest hubs $ are pro-comp. Go to drive-train warehouse. They sell the PC for 124.99 with free shipping. The PC are almost identical to the Warns. I own both sets and they are both good hubs. The PC internals are held in with a snap-ring so they are easier to service. The warn are kind of hard to take apart(not recommended unless you know what your doing). You'll also need the conversion kit $34.99. I haven't broken a hub yet and I run 36in TSL's.

Matt thanks anyway, but its too late. I already purchased the Warns and they are on the Explorer. I guess it is good to know that PC's are good for 36 TSL's and if they are good for 36's its safe to say there are no problems.
Considering my college student butget I dont think i'll be getting those 32's anytime soon. But that is my goal. I dont know what you do with 36's, and im taking a guess that this is NOT your everyday driver.

Enjoy the trails while im in class,

Actually my explorer is my daily driver. It does fine with the 4.56 gears.

Matt

YOU CAN SAVE SOME $$$$ IN THE FUTURE BY GETTING YOUR MANUAL HUBS IN THE JUNK YARD. THE STOCK MANUAL HUBS ARE BUILT BY WARN FOR FORD. BESIDES THE NAME WARN THEY ARE THE SAME.

IT'S CRAZY BUT OUT HERE (DENVER) YOU CAN EVEN TRADE THE YARDS A SET OF AUTO HUBS FOR A SET OF MANUAL ONES, GUESS THOSE AUTO HUBS ARE HOT SELLERS (GEE WONDER WHY).

IF YOU DO IT THIS WAY YOU DONT NEED TO BUY ANYTHING, PULL THE HUBS AND SPINDLE NUTS OFF A FACTORY MANUAL HUB RANGER OF EXPLORER WITH THE D35 FRONT END. TAKE THE HUBS HOME AND FILL THEM WITH ATF. CLICK THEM IN AND OUT ABOUT 500 TIMES, DRAIN THE ATF (NOW DIRTY) AND INSTALL.

ALSO THE MANUAL HUBS REALLY BENEFIT FROM BEING CLEANED WITH ATF ONCE A YEAR......

Back