Automatic Ride Control rear suspension? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Ride Control rear suspension?

Trefty

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
Just a quick question. My '99 XLS has the rear "air bags" but they have a leak and looking through some threads on here I discovered that they can be replaced with a set of non-adjustable shocks from monroe. I took a look at my truck and there are already a set of non-adjustable shocks right besides the "air bags". Is it possible that a previous owner installed these shocks or do vehicles equipped with ARC systems come with the "air bags" as well as a set of shocks in the rear? Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must ne confusing the fifth shock with the main two. There are five on 95-01 Explorers. The ARC shocks have the air bladder inside of them, it is barely visible at the bottom of them. Be sure that you need the shocks to fix a leak, and not the air lines, which cost about $25.

I'll have to take another look again tommorow when it's light out, but I'm pretty sure I only have four shocks on this, two on the front, two in the rear and then the "air bags". I don't have a picture of my vehicle, but the air bag things that are on mine look like the ones in this picture. I can't recall if the setup with regards to the leafspring and frame are the same, but the actual air bags look like the ones in the picture. There is then a shock absorber that is mounted on the bottom of each set up leaf springs. Could this maybe be a custom set-up?

I'll have to take another look again tommorow when it's light out, but I'm pretty sure I only have four shocks on this, two on the front, two in the rear and then the "air bags". I don't have a picture of my vehicle, but the air bag things that are on mine look like the ones in this picture. I can't recall if the setup with regards to the leafspring and frame are the same, but the actual air bags look like the ones in the picture. There is then a shock absorber that is mounted on the bottom of each set up leaf springs. Could this maybe be a custom set-up?

Thats an aftermarket system. That is an spring helper with an airbag rather than a leaf. They also sell coil spring helpers , they increase your towing weight.

Ford Explorer ARC shocks

You guys know your shocks! Help! My Ford Explorer has gone down at rear - I think I need new shocks. The numbers and types on web are bewildering - what is best type to replace existing ARC shocks please? Can you give actual part numbers?

Thats an aftermarket system. That is an spring helper with an airbag rather than a leaf. They also sell coil spring helpers , they increase your towing weight.

Ahh ok. So if I were to take them out I would just go back to having a stock rear suspension?

Rear shocks

My problem is I go to suppliers and all the Ford Explorer shocks say "not for ARC". So will ordinary shocks do? Will they fit? And which ones?

Also if anybody can help I cannot get spare wheel down. Long spanner type tool does not seem to be engaging. Seems I may have to take off floor - looks more of a job than I would like. Any ideas?

Try using a regular "tire-iron" with a flat head on the end of it. It works much easier.

Back