Aux Power Points | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aux Power Points

Nairb4190

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited 301a Blis
Page 200 of the owners manual talks about the aux power pts or charging points. It says not to leave charging cords plugged in overnight because it could drain the battery. Why do these not turn off when you turn the car off or after the radio shuts off etc like in most cars. If nothing is plugged in to the cord is it still draining battery. iPhones get removed from chargers in front and back but the chargers r usually left plugged in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many cars have at least one active power point - you could always add a switch in the circuit if you wanted to...

I actually like that it's live - I can leave my tablet plugged in and charging ...

fyi, have done for years on many cars and never had an issue...

unless your battery has some underlying problems neither should you...

I leave my iPod plugged in 24-7.

There is a battery saver system built in, if the car battery got low or weak it would shut off power to most accessories (including aux power ports) to make sure there is enough current to start the car. A phone, ipod, ipad shouldn't draw enough current/power to drain the battery.

That being said the warning against leaving chargers plugged in is probably based on the fact that most chargers are dirty (they continue to draw current even if no device is plugged into them). If one was to short or malfunction it could easily drain the battery and/or cause an electrical melt or fire. I believe as long as you are using standard manufacturers chargers (not cheapy replacements) then you'll have no problems.

Thanks for the info. My wife was very nervous about leavin one plugged in while at work or overnight etc. they're all verizon or apple products(not that that means they're not faulty). The only bad aspect of the new truck is a non issue. Thx again.

Back