auxillary driving lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

auxillary driving lights

I just installed a kit for auxillary lights on my 02 explorer. The kit came with everything...wire for power from 12v to power switch, a ground from wire switch. and then a 3rd with from power switch to lights.

Both lights have a seperate ground wire and there is a white wire from the lights to the power switch. the red power wire that goes from 12v to switch is connected to the battery and the switch and there is a built in fuse on this switch.

Any dangers in using one of these auxillary universal light kits? there is a 3yr warranty, and i put electrical tape around the wires that go into the lights to keep water out etc...

Please let me know any info on these kits. I just installed mine, the lights are really bright and look great! I picked up the kit from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $19.99.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe the switch acts as the relay? it has 3 prongs that connect to it the power (red), the light wire (white) and the ground (black)

Yes there are some dangers in what you described.
In the Lighting FAQs is a diagram for using a relay in all aux http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28683lighting .
Using a relay keeps the higher amps/voltage out of the veh. interior. So that any shorts dont burn wires under the dash and create smoke and panic that results when you are going down the road at 70 mph. or so while you loose your lights. (This is the reason that there are so many relays in a car.)
The switch is no more than a switch. You need to add a relay. A relay will also probably make your lights brighter as the power will have a shorter route from your battery to the lights.

it might need a relay. i would put one in if it doesnt yet have it.

how do you do a relay with this setup? Do I hook the wires already into the relay and then run the wires from the relay to the rocker switch?

I'm interested in this too. I don't have a relay and would like to know. I never really understood how to put one in...

OK Look at the diagram. First connect the wire to the battery and then to the relay(30).
The (87) pole wire goes to your lights power wire.
The (85) post wire goes to the battery ground or a good screw to the body ground.
The wire going to the switch (86) is connected to the relay and then to the switch and then to the source of the power you want the lights to come ON with. Splice it to the high beam wire for driving lights or low beam wire for fog lights or the battery (not recomended) for the lights to be on anytime.

Yeah it sounds complicated. See what I can do.

Yeah it sounds complicated. See what I can do.

I'm lost, anyone have a diagram in a vehicle or a real life setup so I can see?

I know nothing about electricity and all this stuff.

I'm lost, anyone have a diagram in a vehicle or a real life setup so I can see?
Light wiring diagram;
attachment.php

I know nothing about electricity and all this stuff.
Same here

On the diagram it shows the grounds going to the battery.... On my instructions it has the grounds going to a bolt on the frame.... I hooked my 2 ground wires up to the bull bar bolts.

Grounds can go to the battery or to good screw type grounds to the body/frame. Grounding to the battery is best but both work as well if the screw grounds are clean and not rusted.

Grounds can go to the battery or to good screw type grounds to the body/frame. Grounding to the battery is best but both work as well if the screw grounds are clean and not rusted.

Will it work if I splice my grounds into one wire and run that to the battery? I do not care much for where my ground are right now.

I'd say just hook it into chassis ground.

Will it work if I splice my grounds into one wire and run that to the battery? I do not care much for where my ground are right now.

Yes that would be fine.

Back