Aviator Adaptive Cruise

Pnewby

Reaction score
City, State
Versailles Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 Aviator
16 Edge Sport
A question for Explorer owners- on my Aviator setup for adaptive cruise control, set only allows for + - settings up to 5 miles. All the pre production material I read said it would be + - 20 miles. I was researching Explorer ST at the time but couldn’t resist the Aviator that is now in my garage. Thanks for any replies

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the Manual, it seems you should be able to set it as high as 20 mph over the designated speed. Page 274.

1. Select Settings. See Settings (page 488).
2. Select Driver Assist.
3. Select Cruise Control.
4. Select Tolerance.
5. Use + and - to set the tolerance.

Note: You cannot set the tolerance more
than 20 mph (30 km/h) above or below the
recognized speed.

Peter

According to the Manual, it seems you should be able to set it as high as 20 mph over the designated speed. Page 274.

1. Select Settings. See Settings (page 488).
2. Select Driver Assist.
3. Select Cruise Control.
4. Select Tolerance.
5. Use + and - to set the tolerance.

Note: You cannot set the tolerance more
than 20 mph (30 km/h) above or below the
recognized speed.

Peter
Exactly what I thought , guess I’ll have to call the dealer. Mine isn’t an early build, it was the 312th vehicle finished on 8/15 according to the sticker. The steps you described are exactly what I did and it topped out at +_ 5. Since I usually drive so 8 over on the interstate it would be much less useful.

Exactly what I thought , guess I’ll have to call the dealer. Mine isn’t an early build, it was the 312th vehicle finished on 8/15 according to the sticker. The steps you described are exactly what I did and it topped out at +_ 5. Since I usually drive so 8 over on the interstate it would be much less useful.

Are you sure you are in the correct section? There is the speed alert notification threshold that is limited to 5mph. Then there is the section for the Intelligent Cruise threshold which as Peter has noted can be set up to 20mph.

When I tried again I had to select Intelligent Cruise Control then the20 +- showed up. I had posted in Sync forum since I had to use that interface to change the settings. Thanks for helping out.

For all you Aviator owners....any regrets ? I am considering getting a Aviator Reserve model . Have driven the Explorer ST, Explorer Platinum and Lincoln Aviator models. ( Black Label & Reserve ). Quite impressed with the Lincoln Reserve, but , the ST was quite impressive too.

For all you Aviator owners....any regrets ? I am considering getting a Aviator Reserve model . Have driven the Explorer ST, Explorer Platinum and Lincoln Aviator models. ( Black Label & Reserve ). Quite impressed with the Lincoln Reserve, but , the ST was quite impressive too.
I originally wanted an ST but once I saw the Aviator I couldn’t resist. I have an Aviator Reserve I I with every option available and I love it. It was from dealer stock. Probably wouldn’t have ordered the engine block heater since Ky isn’t that cold and I spend the winter in Florida.

I originally wanted an ST but once I saw the Aviator I couldn’t resist. I have an Aviator Reserve I I with every option available and I love it. It was from dealer stock. Probably wouldn’t have ordered the engine block heater since Ky isn’t that cold and I spend the winter in Florida.

Well Done. I am probably going from the ST to a Reserve model myself. I am trying to locate one now with the color/options I want. If not I will order one, BUT, depends on Ford/UAW contract talks and a strike !!

I was in the same situation. I currently have a ‘13 Explorer Sport. We drove the new ST and it definitely has a “sport” ride. Wasn’t wanting to spend the extra money on the Aviator but when we saw it, it’s gorgeous! Has great ride and all the performance of the ST. My Aviator ReserveII it schedule for build for October 2. Can’t wait!

I was in the same situation. I currently have a ‘13 Explorer Sport. We drove the new ST and it definitely has a “sport” ride. Wasn’t wanting to spend the extra money on the Aviator but when we saw it, it’s gorgeous! Has great ride and all the performance of the ST. My Aviator ReserveII it schedule for build for October 2. Can’t wait!

Its good to hear you pulled the trigger. Now you just have to see if the Uaw goes on strike ! I searched 500 miles from home and found 2 coming in next week. Maybe I will pull the trigger on one of these. They were both built August 6th.

Its good to hear you pulled the trigger. Now you just have to see if the Uaw goes on strike ! I searched 500 miles from home and found 2 coming in next week. Maybe I will pull the trigger on one of these. They were both built August 6th.

UAW is not striking, contract got extended for Ford and Fiat, not GM. Talks are GM and UAW are so far apart they will strike.

UAW is not striking, contract got extended for Ford and Fiat, not GM. Talks are GM and UAW are so far apart they will strike.

So in other words, the old contract is extended. A NEW contract is not signed !

Somewhat true. But knowing the mental attitude of some union employees working without a signed contract has been know in the past to affect their work ethics ! I hope I am wrong .
Agreed. That is my concern as well. Kinda like “Happy wife, happy life”. Hope they get a new agreement ironed out soon. For everyone’s sake.

The intelligent cruise control needs a reprogramming. It’s a cool feature but for example, setting +7 mph above posted speed makes sense in a 70mph zone, but not elsewhere, 42 in a 35 wouldn’t be appropriate. In Explorers the speed warning flashes non stop which is honestly just distracting.

Settings for a +/- for each specific speed limit, or a % above posted speed limit would make it much more usable. Considering how great the ACC is with lane centering I use it everyday in my Explorer Platinum in highways and interstates in bad traffic, but I’d like to be able to use the intelligent setting.

Watching the gauge change to the speed limit never ceases to impress me though.

The intelligent cruise control needs a reprogramming. It’s a cool feature but for example, setting +7 mph above posted speed makes sense in a 70mph zone, but not elsewhere, 42 in a 35 wouldn’t be appropriate. In Explorers the speed warning flashes non stop which is honestly just distracting.

Settings for a +/- for each specific speed limit, or a % above posted speed limit would make it much more usable. Considering how great the ACC is with lane centering I use it everyday in my Explorer Platinum in highways and interstates in bad traffic, but I’d like to be able to use the intelligent setting.

Watching the gauge change to the speed limit never ceases to impress me though.
Might want to add that to; Annoying things you have found that ford needs to fix

Peter

Back