Aviator Mirrors to 3rd gen explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aviator Mirrors to 3rd gen explorer xlt

silver4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I really like the look of the Lincoln Aviator Mirrors on the explorer. I am willing to hold out for a set but I would like to know what is all involved it getting these to work with an 2002 explorer? The mounting posts are the same but from what I read the wiring is different. Was there ever a year that the aviator mirrors were not color matched? I like the look of my textured mirrors. Gives a more of a rugged look which is what I am looking for. Otherwise if all else fails I know that the 2006+ mirrors fit no problem on to the 3rd generation explorers. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about fitment but for the wiring, the Aviator mirors tilt down when you put the tranny in reverse. Maybe the Limited and Eddie's do to, not sure?

I would like to hear the the plugs are the same but the aviator utilizes more wires than the explorer but I am doubting that hearing you say that they tilt down. Also the explorer has just a plug and the aviator had a wire with a plug. I am not sure what this means. I am not so worried about the leds in the mirror to flash I guess I just want to know if the power option on my explorer with operate the aviator mirror with out any major rewiring.

They are different connections.

I saw a guy here on here that did the switch.
It looked great with matched paint too.

I remember him saying the the connector was different because he had to add wires for the turn signal.

Dont remember him mentioning if it tilted down...

Dont remember him mentioning if it tilted down...

I doubt he knows they tilt down.

They also have driver memory, like the seats and pedals. My wife is about 5' and I'm 5' 8". Memory positions are activated by the key FOB.

that guys post is kinda what inspired me to do the swap. I guess I am just trying to figure out if they are a direct swap or there is wiring needed other than the turn signals. Also do the aviator mirrors have puddle lamps as well?

They also have driver memory, like the seats and pedals. My wife is about 5' and I'm 5' 8". Memory positions are activated by the key FOB.

Id say the only way the tilt down would work is if you had memory seat options. Even then the tilt down could be an aviator only option.

I doubt the functionality is in the mirror itself... it all has to do with the wiring, in which case the average explorer wont do it.

i'm so annoyed that the driver memory package on the Ex and Mounty don't include the power mirrors; I really like that feature in my mom's Pacifica.

Back