AWD (all wheel drive) to 4WD conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD (all wheel drive) to 4WD conversion

Baja4ever

Reaction score
City, State
Daly City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
I own a 97 Explorer Limited, 5.0 V8 with the All Wheel Drive system. I would like to convert to 4WD system, like the XLT V8 of the same year, maybe the 1998 XLT, I don't know. Does anybody in this forum know about this conversion? My Limited is good in light off-road use, and is great in the snow (the best), but 85% of my driving is in the city or on the highway, so I don't want to have my front diff working all the time. I want to convert to "selectable" 4 wheel drive so I can use it only when I want or need it. Anybody heard of this conversion? any ideas? please e-mail: a7rn01@rcn.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't all the V8's full time AWD, with the 1-speed t-case using the viscous center diff? I don't think trim level matters - XLT, Limited, Mountaineer, all V8's were the same AWD. Only the V6's had the selectable, 2-speed 4WD...

BTW, what are your reasons for not wanting the front diff working all the time? It certainly won't hurt it - the t-case only sends 35% of the torque to it most of the time.

All V8 Explorers that are 4wd are Awd, and the V8 also could be 2wd.

Originally posted by Ranger Rick
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't all the V8's full time AWD, with the 1-speed t-case using the viscous center diff? I don't think trim level matters - XLT, Limited, Mountaineer, all V8's were the same AWD. Only the V6's had the selectable, 2-speed 4WD...
right on, here ya go Dead Link Removed

AWD to 4WD conversion

I still have a lot to learn about my Xplorer. If you remove the 4404 T/case (AWD) and install the 4405 4WD case: is it possible to install manual or auto-locking front hubs? I don't mind the front diff working all the time, since the car was designed to do that. I just think of the possibility of turning my Limited into a real 4WD vehicle, good for all kinds of four-wheeling. I read the thread from stadx2, but he didn't go into all the details about the conversion, only that he did it. I welcome any more comments. Thanks :confused:

If you install the 4405 (Control Trac) like Stad did, you'll need to change the output shaft on your tranny, get an AA adapter, and wire it up to a 4WD selector knob (like in the V6s). I'm not sure how Stad ended up doing the wiring.. but there should be a write-up coming (someday). But, there is no difference in the hubs of the AWD and 4WD Explorers so you wouldn't need to change those.

I used as much factory componentry as I could to eliminate any "custom" wiring.
I sent off a write up on this to Rick months ago to put on this site.

any chance of posting that for the rest of us stadx?

I'll talk to Matt Adams to see if he can get the ball rolling on this.

Darren, when you swapped in the 4405, did you also swap in a V6 Gem to get the A4wd?

Also, how has the t-case held up with the torque of the V8?

Yes, you need to use the GEM out of a V6 4WD Explorer along with other various electrical components. Just make sure the GEM is from the SAME YEAR Explorer you're doing the swap on. If you don't, you will run into all kinds of electrical problems. Trust me I learned the hard way!

Holding up? So far so good! I don't think the duty level is any less then the 4404 AWD case I took out of it.

Back