AWD for drag racing? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD for drag racing?

for 7 grand ford has a turnkey 393 (351w stroker) small block crate engine which will bolt up to you're transmission. it makes 500 horsepower and 475 ft/lb torque.
of course you'll probably need to have the trans built a little to handle that much torque, (or switch to a c6 or something)

..yeah do that and you'll crush them.

Except the part where it won't fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turbo and spray

Turbo or supercharger and nitrous is going to blow the stock bottom end to dust in pretty short order.

I put a turbo on a very tired 427 in a Shelby Mustang years ago (stone age) and then added a nitrous kit from NOS to cover the turbo lag. It only lasted about three and a half years and I put in a stroked 447 tunnel port. I sold the old motor complete and running for $8500. Had a lot of fun and made a few bucks in the end. A well built 427 is fail safe when it's built with a few precautions.

Fitment

Anything will go into anything with enough time and money, I knew a guy that put a 392 Hemi into a MG TC. another guy I knew had a 427 Hi-Riser Ford in another MG, I put a 389 Pontiac in a Jag XK 140 and later I put a 351 Cleveland and a C 6 in a Datsun 240Z.

If you want it bad enough and can afford it, it can be done.

Anything will go into anything with enough time and money, I knew a guy that put a 392 Hemi into a MG TC. another guy I knew had a 427 Hi-Riser Ford in another MG, I put a 389 Pontiac in a Jag XK 140 and later I put a 351 Cleveland and a C 6 in a Datsun 240Z.

If you want it bad enough and can afford it, it can be done.

well you cant very easily call yourself a hotrodder if you're going to use silly excuses like that
:burnout:

Sorry guys, I'm not made of money. Several on this site with more time and skill have tried...................none have succeeded. If being of average income and only of average fabrication skill makes me not a hotrodder, then I'm not a hotrodder.

I'm just guessin' but, I think a 351 would fit if all else will mount up.
Isn't the Lincoln Aviator the same basic body and frame? Ford put a 4.6 DOHC engine in that and it seems to work out fine. I'm in the process of putting a '98 Mark VIII engine in my '98 expedition. If the 4.6 DOHC has a hard time pulling the Expedition it will get a turbo. Not for racing, just to get down the road and keep up with traffic. I'll do it old school, that is until it has a lot of spark knock I'll only use a water injection system. Just like Oldsmobile did with the Cutlass Jetfires in the early and mid '60s.
I have had several turbo motorcycles and none of them had intercoolers and I've never had to use one in the past. If you are running substantial boost like the Porsche race cars it would be a must. The Porsches run as much as 4+ bar. I think 8 to 12 pounds boost is safe in a well maintained engine. I have heard that most of the car OEMs limit the boost to 6 to 8 pounds.

Mel

There's a 1st gen on this site with the 351w.
Also, a 2nd gen on this site, with a 347.

There's always a way, everyone quit being negative.

There's a 1st gen on this site with the 351w.
Also, a 2nd gen on this site, with a 347.

There's always a way, everyone quit being negative.

:bsnicker: Sorry, I just had to laugh at that one. A 347 is still basically a 302, just with a different rotating assembly to give the motor more displacement.

Moto mel you are seriously confusing this thread, it's about a 2nd gen explorer. It has nothing to do with putting boost to a 427, or aviators and 4.6's.

I know about the displacement differences, my comment was toward both fitting a bigger block and some performance aspects of his engine. Jt's ride is sick and plenty fast. Shoulda been more specific.

Sorry guys, I'm not made of money. Several on this site with more time and skill have tried...................none have succeeded. If being of average income and only of average fabrication skill makes me not a hotrodder, then I'm not a hotrodder.

believe me it doesn't take money to fab stuff like this up, yeah it takes some skill but the bellhousing and the engine mounts will line up on the 351 (from the 302) it is only about an inch wider on each side (not quite that even) so you may have to do some fender trimming or something. i don't think it'd be that hard, it'd just take a bit of determination. and yes some fab work. i guess i'm lucky there, while i'm not great at fab myself, i have friends who are and i can pay them (or sometimes its free) to help me a little on the parts where i get hung up... ...we'll see how my mustang v6 with F-150 trans fits in my first gen. it's going to require some fab work to get that together...

I'm just guessin' but, I think a 351 would fit if all else will mount up.

Exactly, you're just guessing. Having seen what other people have gone through to get this to work (right down to attempting to make their own oilpans) I KNOW it won't fit without completing hacking up the front end of the truck. No thanks

Isn't the Lincoln Aviator the same basic body and frame? Ford put a 4.6 DOHC engine in that and it seems to work out fine.

Yes, same body and frame as a 3RD GEN. We're talking about a second gen (hence being in the 95-01 forum). Its a totally different truck.

I'm in the process of putting a '98 Mark VIII engine in my '98 expedition. If the 4.6 DOHC has a hard time pulling the Expedition it will get a turbo. Not for racing, just to get down the road and keep up with traffic. I'll do it old school, that is until it has a lot of spark knock I'll only use a water injection system. Just like Oldsmobile did with the Cutlass Jetfires in the early and mid '60s.
I have had several turbo motorcycles and none of them had intercoolers and I've never had to use one in the past. If you are running substantial boost like the Porsche race cars it would be a must. The Porsches run as much as 4+ bar. I think 8 to 12 pounds boost is safe in a well maintained engine. I have heard that most of the car OEMs limit the boost to 6 to 8 pounds.

Mel

ummm.....ok. Don't see how this is relevant at all.

Most of the OEM vehicles you're talking about use intercoolers, and have 8.5:1 compression too. Although I know plenty of people that have run hot-air vortechs on 96-98 cobra motors so it Is doable, but you need to pull a ton of timing.

believe me it doesn't take money to fab stuff like this up, yeah it takes some skill but the bellhousing and the engine mounts will line up on the 351 (from the 302) it is only about an inch wider on each side (not quite that even) so you may have to do some fender trimming or something. i don't think it'd be that hard, it'd just take a bit of determination. and yes some fab work. i guess i'm lucky there, while i'm not great at fab myself, i have friends who are and i can pay them (or sometimes its free) to help me a little on the parts where i get hung up... ...we'll see how my mustang v6 with F-150 trans fits in my first gen. it's going to require some fab work to get that together...

Look, I've done 351w swaps in foxbody mustangs so its not like the similarities are a mystery to me. I've seen on this forum what it takes to even get close to cramming a 351 into a second gen and its just really not within my budget, my skill, or for that matter fun at all.

IF it's not fun it's not worth doing.:salute:

Swap? HA! Unless you're talking big displacement strokers the 5.0 is unbeatable, and with a little dough can contend and work the other SUV's. block splitting doesn't start until 600 or so fwhp. I've seen some higher and some lower. One of my foxes has 573rwhp and is still ticking...
I'd think a cheaper 347 kit with a cast crank, aluminum heads, a nice cam, and a tune would wake the thing right up! Or that's what i'd like to do to mine atleast!

Back