AWD for drag racing? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD for drag racing?

All of the v8's I've ever seen had 3.73's with limited slip, there may be some that are open though. The transfer case does use a viscous coupler, and it could be a weak link, but they aren't known to fail on a regular basis. As a whole the 302 explorers are really solid and reliable, with no real big problems.

The '01 5.0 AWD I purchased a couple of weeks ago has a 3.55 open rear. I was really surprised when I checked the code on the door considering that this Explorer feels WAY peppier down low than my previous two 5.0 AWD Explorers with 3.73LS rears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please don't waste your time and money on making an Explorer a drag SUV. It clearly was not designed for this, and you will ultimately be disappointed.

If you enjoy drag racing, do some research and pick a much more suitable vehicle.

If you want 4 wheel drive, get a STI.

The '01 5.0 AWD I purchased a couple of weeks ago has a 3.55 open rear. I was really surprised when I checked the code on the door considering that this Explorer feels WAY peppier down low than my previous two 5.0 AWD Explorers with 3.73LS rears.

They may have switched to the 3.55 open in 01, as my '98 5.0 is 3.73LS and my '03 4.6 is 3.55 open, as are all the newer explorers. They even switched from a 3.73LS to a 3.73 Open for Ex's w/ the tow pkg starting in 2005.

I'll have to get under the truck and check the tag. It cruises at 70 at a hair over 2k rpms so I'm inclined to believe that it is 3.73s. Also, its definetly 2wd. Is this an oddball truck? '98 EB 5.0 2wd? Its spent its entire life in Houston to my knowledge....not exactly an area that calls for AWD, but I'm still surprised: most web sources would tell you that ALL 5.0s came with AWD.

I have the NP 205 transfer case in this with a built 460 and C6 auto. The power eventually stretched out the chain and required a rebuild.

It might boils down to how much power do you plan on having and comparing that to what others have done. Tires and gear ratios will play a big role as well.

How do you stretch the chain in a GEAR DRIVEN transfer case?

As far as the viscous coupling; I've seen a few Typhoons W/ over 500hp still running through the stock t-case. They had a BW t-case w/ a viscous coupler.

The 2wd trucks are out there, mostly texas and california from what I've read. And you find one occasionally up in the northern states.

There is a woman at work that has a '96 2wd Explorer.

As far as the viscous coupling; I've seen a few Typhoons W/ over 500hp still running through the stock t-case. They had a BW t-case w/ a viscous coupler.

Thats good to know. Sounds like the viscous coupler is tougher than I'm giving it credit.

I would basically build your truck up with power then when traction starts becoming an issue decide to go AWD or get better traction through a better tire compound or something.

I have AWD and its nice being able to cut the wheel and mash the gas to get in a tight spot in traffic with out being worried about fishtail or tire spin in rain, snow, or shine. I know its robbing power though.

I would basically build your truck up with power then when traction starts becoming an issue decide to go AWD or get better traction through a better tire compound or something.

Thats the plan. Build it how I want, and wait for a deal on a AWD truck with a blown motor or a rollover.

The 2wd trucks are out there, mostly texas and california from what I've read. And you find one occasionally up in the northern states.

In '96 and '97 I worked at one of the highest volume ford dealers in NJ. Out of the approx. 100 Explorers a month we got in, I'd say about 5% were 2wd.

In '96 and '97 I worked at one of the highest volume ford dealers in NJ. Out of the approx. 100 Explorers a month we got in, I'd say about 5% were 2wd.

Several online sources I read have said that ALL 5.0 explorers were AWD. I happen to have one thats not. Ah well.

So im curious as to how that viscous t case works? My BF busted his front drive line and has been running without it. Seems to work fine but being an AWD case i wondered if this would cause pre mature t case wear or failaure...

So im curious as to how that viscous t case works? My BF busted his front drive line and has been running without it. Seems to work fine but being an AWD case i wondered if this would cause pre mature t case wear or failaure...

it will absolutely cause premature failure of the viscous coupler.

I'll have to get under the truck and check the tag. It cruises at 70 at a hair over 2k rpms so I'm inclined to believe that it is 3.73s. Also, its definetly 2wd. Is this an oddball truck? '98 EB 5.0 2wd? Its spent its entire life in Houston to my knowledge....not exactly an area that calls for AWD, but I'm still surprised: most web sources would tell you that ALL 5.0s came with AWD.

I know a guy in Georgia on one of my other forums runs a 5.0 mounty 2wd, I've also seen a few 5.0 2wd's up in my area for sale.

I have AWD and its nice being able to cut the wheel and mash the gas to get in a tight spot in traffic with out being worried about fishtail or tire spin in rain, snow, or shine. I know its robbing power though.

Going from my 03 AWD to the 93 XLT and back to an AWD 98, I really love AWD. Nothing beats cutting corners and not having to pussy foot around them to feel safe.

With a little spray and aheap of whoooosh you can have a very fast Expy with the original engine, just be ready for the failures. As you already know it's the weakest link in the system that goes first. Good luck with it and have fun smokin' them chebbies and mowerpars.

I love my `97 V8 2WD Explorer. Mainly because it is wrapped up inside my `92....

The 2WD Explorers are rare. The 2WD V8 Explorer/Mountaineer is the MOST rare drivetrain combo that was offered.

This is how I look at it....

'If you race me and I win....You just got beat by an EXPLORER!....If you race me and YOU win....Congratulations! You just beat an EXPLORER!...

There is just NO WAY to look cool racing against an Explorer!

Ryan

With a little spray and aheap of whoooosh you can have a very fast Expy with the original engine, just be ready for the failures. As you already know it's the weakest link in the system that goes first. Good luck with it and have fun smokin' them chebbies and mowerpars.

Turbo or supercharger and nitrous is going to blow the stock bottom end to dust in pretty short order.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for 7 grand ford has a turnkey 393 (351w stroker) small block crate engine which will bolt up to you're transmission. it makes 500 horsepower and 475 ft/lb torque.
of course you'll probably need to have the trans built a little to handle that much torque, (or switch to a c6 or something)

..yeah do that and you'll crush them.

Back