AWD sucks in snow and then turns off | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD sucks in snow and then turns off

Sounds like the splines to the drive shaft stripped out....if that's how the drive shaft are driven.

How long have you owned your Sport?
If you are the 2nd owner, previous owner could have done something to damage the drive shaft.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I am the second owner and the 1st owner was in construction of some sort because there was concrete powder all over the inside and outside when we bought it. But, I got a great deal so this repair isn't unexpected I guess. We've been driving it for a year now, put 8k miles on it so far, and have never once noticed any problems related to transmission, engine, shifting, power, or anything else.

Just an FYI, since I assume this was a customer pay repair - $775 appears to be full list price for the driveshaft from ford parts.

I don't know what best price is for that part, but I have a local dealer that discounts pretty good and they sell that same driveshaft for $605 - no relationship necessary.

Not knowing the part number, this site shows a 'drive shaft' for $546.79. Like I said, not sure if it's the same part. In any case, it's a little late now.
AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Peter
Can't tell if you are being serious or joking around, but when I clicked on your link, it appeared to be >27K results from a random search of the term "drive shaft" with no vehicle selected. It shows drive shafts for all kinds of prices, such as $552.56, $608.32, $198.87, and so on and so forth.

I do not have the OPs vin, but I at least looked up the driveshaft for the vehicle he said he had repaired (I only got 1 drive shaft result for '13 ex 3.5 auto awd) - msrp $764.74 - part price from royal oak ford, mi $596.50 - $605 was cart total with shipping. Auto Nation White Bear Lake was about $100 more for the same part.

Shaft Assy - Drive | FordUS (link will probably pull up pricing for whatever dealer you were shopping at - change dealer to see prices at different dealers)

I can't say whether it's too late for the OP to do anything or not, or if the OP really even cares. If he does, he has the info. If someone else needs a driveshaft and happens across this, maybe it saves them some money.

Can't tell if you are being serious or joking around, but when I clicked on your link, it appeared to be >27K results from a random search of the term "drive shaft" with no vehicle selected. It shows drive shafts for all kinds of prices, such as $552.56, $608.32, $198.87, and so on and so forth.

I do not have the OPs vin, but I at least looked up the driveshaft for the vehicle he said he had repaired (I only got 1 drive shaft result for '13 ex 3.5 auto awd) - msrp $764.74 - part price from royal oak ford, mi $596.50 - $605 was cart total with shipping. Auto Nation White Bear Lake was about $100 more for the same part.

Shaft Assy - Drive | FordUS (link will probably pull up pricing for whatever dealer you were shopping at - change dealer to see prices at different dealers)

I can't say whether it's too late for the OP to do anything or not, or if the OP really even cares. If he does, he has the info. If someone else needs a driveshaft and happens across this, maybe it saves them some money.

It was on the first page of hits on peterk9's link, i found it because the price was mentioned, this 8G1Z-4R602-B is the same that you just linked... maybe, not knowing if "B" is a certain revision and yours doesn't list the revision letter.

Drive Shaft - Ford (8G1Z-4R602-B) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

It was on the first page of hits on peterk9's link, i found it because the price was mentioned, this 8G1Z-4R602-B is the same that you just linked... maybe, not knowing if "B" is a certain revision and yours doesn't list the revision letter.

Drive Shaft - Ford (8G1Z-4R602-B) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
The link above shows different results than the link on the first page. Wasn't sure what was going on.

I guess I never paid attention to the difference in prices for autonation wbl at parts.ford.com vs the prices at parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com. I kind of thought it was odd that autonation wbl was higher than my local dealer, because usually my local dealer is about 5-10% higher then them, but it makes sense since they have different prices on different websites and I wasn't at their best price website apparently (googled it from work vs using the link I have on my home computer).

Congrats on the successful fix. Enjoy the heck out of that Sport, now!

Haha, I would have enjoyed being ignorant to the lower prices but in the end, a few hundred dollars doesn't make a difference. The price of convenience and having an amazing AWD vehicle again is priority #1. Thank you all who commented, this community really looks out for each other.

Back