• Register Today It's free!

awd to part time swap

98svt

Reaction score
City, State
tampa florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 5.0 awd
im looking to got to a part time system instead of awd....question is...1..what is needed for the swap(parts)...2..how does the part time transfer case work (electric or manual with lever)...3..if it is electric, does my chassis have a wire harness for the switch......thanks for all help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moving this to Under the Hood. Please pay attention to what forum you're posting in.

You don't have any electrical connections for your tcase. So you'd have to get a manual shift tcase or get the 4wd computer and all connections from a 4405 or whatever other electronic shift tcase you want to try and use. Stadx2 has a good thread about his somewhere on here. I'm planning on doing this same thing. I already have a 4405 waiting for me. :D

if using a manual t-case, here do i put the lever for it?? also what about just going 2wd?? what would be the involvement in that?? could the front diff housing be taken out and not affect the strctural integrity of the truck....what about the trany and front axles, could they come out and still be able to use the front spinde and related parts....thanks...

If you go manual you'll have to take out the center console and all that BS. That's why I'm going electric shift.

If you want to convert to 2wd you would have to remove the knuckles and half shafts (and probably replace them with 2wd spindles)and front driveshaft. You'd probably also have to remove your tcase all together and get the 2wd tail shaft housing on your 4r70w and hook your driveshaft directly to the tranny.

I have the 2wd control arms and spindles and stuff for sale if thats something you want to do.

yeah im thinkin about the 2wd over the part time swap....but either would help this slug....anyways , would the new tailshaft for the trany need a differant length drive shaft or would they be the same?? oh, and how much for the parts for sale....thanks...

Yup, you'd need a new rear driveshaft too.

Yeah.. you'd need the 2WD driveshaft too. (Forgot about that).

I'm not sure how much I'm going to ask for my suspension yet. I was thinking around $180 for uppers, lowers, spindles, discs, calipers, brakes, etc.

so i would need the (factory) 2wd driveshaft....and thats a good price to me ill be in touch when i can get ths project moving after i find out everything and get the rest of the parts i need....thanks for the help...

hm if your going to do a 2wd conversion, i may want to buy the front suspension components, that is, if it will fit a v6. so i can start a 4wd conversion. and if you will sell them

If you start this project later in the year, I may be interested in the front suspension, and driveshafts since I'm wanting to convert my Mountaineer V8 to 4wd. I'm still working on whether I want the 4405 transfer case or the 1354. I personally don't have a need for 4-Auto since the weather in Mississippi isn't so bad that I need 4wd for more than when I go hunting or fishing in a flooded spillway.

hey man, i'm driving down to tampa this weekend for spring break. i'm gonna be staying at the holiday inn by busch gardens. 29 a night couldn't be beat! i'd love to see your truck, maybe we can get together for lunch or something while i'm down there.

hey expo 5.0, get ahold of me when ya get here and well go show off the x"s around town....
to everyone else i will keep ya posted on what i have for sale so u cant get what u need, as soon as i can mae sure i have or can get evrything that i need for ths swap.....thanks for the help...

i won't have my x sadly. we're taking my girls z24 because we're trying not to
spend any extra money on the trip- we're both kind of broke and i'm saving up
for some high quality 15s right now. we're just coming down to get some sun
because minnesota is driving us nuts.

if you want to get together despite my lack of a truck pm me with a contact number and i'll call you when i get down.

Back