• Register Today It's free!

Axle Codes-HELP

WILL

Reaction score
City, State
Alsip, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT SOHC
Ok I have a D4 which I found to be a Limited slip 3200 3.73 gears. Now what the heck does all that mean? Limited slip is good when it comes to offroad. Is 3.73 good or bad? What does 3200 stand for. Last of all what is my front axle?

:smoke: :shoot:

3.73 is a good all-around ratio with 31's, if a bit on the high side (economy). Lower gears like 4.10s will give you better acceleration and more grunt offroad, but less top end performance and worse economy. IMO for a truck with 31s that occasionally goes offroad, 3.73s are perfect.

3200 is some sort of load rating. Don't sweat much about it..

And....your front axle is an open 3.73.

Ok so this locker that everyone talks of goes in the front...and locks both wheels...isnt that what a hub does. Iknow also that a 97 has no hubs

A locker is a traction device that forces both wheels to spin at equal speeds. Good offroad, but can cause the tires to chirp on road. Generally, if you have a traction device, you will want it in the rear axle. Easier to steer and easier on the tires. You can put a locker in either axle in theory, but I dont know of any company that makes one for the 97 front. Anybody out there that knows of one? The locker you are thinking of (I think) is locking hubs. These allow the front wheels to spin freely from the rest of the front drivetrain. When you lock them the drivetrain spins the front wheels. I believe the 97s did not have locking hubs, the wheels always permently connected to the drivetrain, but I may be wrong. If I made a mistake somebody correct me. Sorry for the long reply, I hope it helps though.

Back