CEL and Codes... help, please!

BigZac

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport SOHCV6
Hi--

I've searched and read previous posts most of the day, but I'd like to get opinions since I haven't seen an issue *exactly* like mine. I have a 99 Sport v6 SOHC. I just finished law school and devoted less time to paying attention to my X than I should have.

Here's what happens: any morning (or afternoon, if the ambient air temp is right and/or the engine hasn't been started in the last 8 or so hours) that it is colder than say 65 degrees, the engine starts fine (no foot on gas, just a short turn of the key). After it revs up to its initial RPM, it immediately drops and starts stuttering/coughing... alternating once in a while to a sligtly higher RPM, but still coughing. Naturally, once it gets warm, I don't have the problem, but while it's warming up, it will actually die on me. It only dies when I am not actively pressing the accelerator (i.e., when I'm coasting or braking). In fact, this afternoon, it died on me while I was doing 30mph, and I lost power steering and had to brake in the middle of the street to re-start. Luckily this was in a residential area.

So I went to AutoZone and had the codes pulled... here's what I have, and I'm pretty embarrassed:

P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304
P0305
P0306
P0172 (Bank 1 too lean)
P0175 (Bank 2 too lean)

So 8 codes. All 6 cyls misfiring, and both banks too lean. I'm a law geek, not a car geek, but I'm going to try a few things I've learned while reading today before throwing $$$ at it. Maybe y'all could make some more suggestions?

I'm going to check/clean the:

MAF if needed.
IAC if needed.
PCV valve (and replace) if needed.
I'm going to check/clean/re-gap the plugs, and check the wires as well.

Since I don't know a lot about repairs, these seem the easiest and least intrusive tests for me to do. I have a volt/ohmmeter and will check the coil packs, but this Chilton's book I'm reading isn't helping me a lot with how to do that... I may nee to look at a Hayne's manual instead.

I had my FIs cleaned (or replaced, I believe, but my wife did this, and she can't be located to verify this) about a year ago, and use Chevron fuel exclusively. I run a bottle of Gumout Fuel Sytem Cleaner through the tank once every 3k miles.

Are there any other suggestions you all can provide? I'd like to start with the least intrusive/easiest first, if possible. Thank you for your advice.

Zac

Howard said:

Cheers, Howard. I read that post yesterday in my research and hoped that no one would direct me to do the O-ring work, since it may be a bit above my mechanical know-how at the time. I also read the post by "MIKEH" with the very fine step-by-step instructions and photos.

Unfortunately, my X has 136k miles on it and I bought it (used) in 2001. So from what I'm reading, I don't qualify for the 00M12 work. Am I to understand that for owners (like myself) that are "out of the range" of the work, we can still get the kit by paying for it?

Thanks again.

Zac

Back