• Register Today It's free!

axle seal HELP!!

wrigley_1285

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
ok so i'm in the middle of replaceing my cv shafts, hub assemblies, front rotors and pads, my cv shaft seals and i might replace my pinion seal also. but anyways i got everything on the drivers side taken apart and put back together with everything new and only had one bump in the road. my seal in the diff for the cv on the drivers side was giving me a little bit of trouble getting it out. but i just rented a slide hammer and problem solved.

and now i've taken everything off the pass. side and i can't get the new cv axle seal into the housing. i got a piece of pvc that fits just right onto the seal and no luck. even with a big persuader (big ####ing hammer), i've got nothing. it just will not go in no matter how hard i try. i'm afraid i'm going to mess up the seal and have to go buy another one. so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Place the new cv axle next to the old cv axle. Check the ends to make sure they match in length, and in design.

The c clip ring on the end that goes into your diff has to be compressed to go in. Try to wiggle it back and forth while you tap it in. You should not have to beat the living daylights out of it to have it seat in place! Have some one tap it in while you are working it in the diff. Once in it should stay in place, it might feel like it is sliding back out a little, but that's alright. If it feels like your making contact with metal inside the diff and it is still sliding out easy, it has not seated correctly. Just be patient, dont smash it with a BFH.

Place the new cv axle next to the old cv axle. Check the ends to make sure they match in length, and in design.

The c clip ring on the end that goes into your diff has to be compressed to go in. Try to wiggle it back and forth while you tap it in. You should not have to beat the living daylights out of it to have it seat in place! Have some one tap it in while you are working it in the diff. Once in it should stay in place, it might feel like it is sliding back out a little, but that's alright. If it feels like your making contact with metal inside the diff and it is still sliding out easy, it has not seated correctly. Just be patient, dont smash it with a BFH.

He's having trouble with the seal, not the cv axle. I also had a lot of trouble getting that side in, eventually we got a piece of pipe just the right size, and beat the crap out of it and it finally went it

i have replaced mine more times than i would like to admit and every one has require a taps with a big hammer (8lb) and a short piece of pipe. The last time i used a slide hammer and had an easier time of getting it to start. One thing to watch for is be sure it starts straight and good luck.

thanks for the advise. i ended up finding an even bigger hammer in the garage and it finally gave in to my demands.

i use a 2ft piece of pvc with a connector on the end of it the connector was just the right size. plus i had a cap on the end that i was hitting.

Back