axle shaft play, knock

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
During a recent excursion with some Jeep guys I noticed a knock or bang while climbing up a rocky hillclimb. I figured rocks were coming up and hitting my diff. Well then I heard the noise while going over some ruts. Came home from the trip and changed my wheel bearings cause behind the hubs was a watery greasy mess. While I had everything torn apart I noticed the pass side axle shaft has some play in the spindle. U-joints dont seem to have any play.

While driving and making tight left hand turns I hear the knock/bang. I know the pass side axle shaft isnt going to be as firm as the drivers side since its longer and doesnt have a support until it gets to the spindle. But should it have so much play? Could that be the noise I'm hearing? I dont see any rubs in the window in the beam but I will double check.

Reason I'm asking this is because I got a spindle bearing repair kit, tore the pass side down, and one of the spindle nuts is rounded off. Before I fight it I'd like to know if I even need to go in there and replace the bearing or if I should be looking for something else.

Thanks in advance..

Jack

Back