• Register Today It's free!

Axle Swap Advice/Help

BF

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88 Bronco II
Ok, well me and my buddys went wheeling this weekend in my 88 Bronco II and managed to break both my driveshafts and tore either one of the front lockers out or the axle shaft. So i'm replacing the driveshafts with the u-joint driveshafts, and probably going to swap the auto t-case and auto locking hubs for manual in both. I am things about going ahead and doing a D35 swap and ditching this D28 as well, but what all has to be done in this swap? What will i have to do the rear to make everything work? I've never done an axle swap before so i need some help... Any info is appreciated, as well as what vehicle i should get the D35 out of.

I got my D35 and 8.8 rear out of a first gen Explorer.
The front swap is a direct bolt in if I remember correctly.

The rear I had to put the spring pads on top of rear and then I took an Ex. drive shaft and had cut down.

Spend some time researching. There is a ton of info on the search thread.

I know where you are comin from. Last wekend I took my cousin out for a little fun in my b2. He just came home from Iraq for his birthday. We lasted about 15 min and I thought I lost my auto hub but turns out I lost one of my front axles. But not just lost it I shreded it. Snaped the axle about 1 into the diff, shreded the steering knuckle ujoint and completely shreded the auto hub. 2 weeks prior after the 5 inch lift the rear drive shaft, with the most awesome (JOKE) set up Ford ever put on a drive shaft, completely shelled out after about 30 min. I had a local shop shorten an Explorer drive shaft. $75 Right now I am currently putting a newer Dana 35 and an Explorer 8.8 in it. Also welding up the gears in the rear to make it a full time locker. swaps are not that hard but if you have never welded before have a shop weld the new rear spring pads on for you if you decide to go with an Explorer rear. I am almost 100% positive a Ranger rear axle is a bolt in and play swap. Just mind you gear ratio.

Back