axle swap question

SplendidSquid

Reaction score
City, State
New Cumberland, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
greetings and salutations!
ive been browsing around here for a bit since i bought my 2001 Sport Trac, 4.0L, 4WD. i have some moderate plans for. i would really like to rebuild the rear axle, and being that its a daily driver i need to build a separate axle to swap.
so my question is. what vehicles can i get an axle from? i believe mine came with an 8.8 with 3.73lsd gears. (looks like at some point someone swapped another axle in) next question is if i get an 8.8 with disc brakes can that be swapped in pretty easy? third question is i have ABS how will that work with an axle swap with disc brakes? i assume if it has the differential speed sensor it should all be fine and well...

Id like a pretty simple swap. no cutting and welding mounts. all the internal stuff i can do. just cant weld.... yet.
thanks for the help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use an 8.8 from a '95-01 Explorer four door or two door (newer models have disc brakes, I have an 8.8 from a '99 Mercury Mountaineer), '97-01 Mercury Mountaineer and '01-03 Explorer Sport. As far as matching the gears with the front 3.73's in your rig you'd have to check the tag on the axle or the door tag on the donor vehicle to make sure it has 3.73's. It's bolt in and go for the most part.

Midnight covered it. Find one from a donor explorer, make sure it has 3.73 gears and swap in.
You need to match gears in the front in order to use 4wd and the cost to regear will far outweigh the price of waiting and finding a donor axle that has the correct gearing just as a heads up. Most regearing costs over $1000 at a shop.

well ill be doing the work myself. so i don't have to worry about taking to a shop. new to the explorer world wasn't sure whats all interchangeable. seems like anything exploreresque would work.

I'm just throwing the cost of a regear out there to say it's worth getting the axle with the right gears already in it and not one with 4.10s and swap in 3.73s since most people don't have the means to do gears.

Most anything exploreresque will work that is correct. Anything with the 2nd gen architecture.

Why do you need to rebuild it? Bearings shot? Are you saying it doesn't have an 8.8 under it?

Are you looking to change the gears or keep them the same? What size tires are you running?

If you're changing the bearings, you'll have to reshim to set the backlash so changing the gear ratio isn't that big of a deal at that point. I have a front axle assy with 4.56 gears sitting in my garage..........

Why do you need to rebuild it? Bearings shot? Are you saying it doesn't have an 8.8 under it?

Are you looking to change the gears or keep them the same? What size tires are you running?

If you're changing the bearings, you'll have to reshim to set the backlash so changing the gear ratio isn't that big of a deal at that point. I have a front axle assy with 4.56 gears sitting in my garage..........

well the current one has some leaks which i know can easily be fixed. i just want to build one where i wont have to worry about anything breaking or going bad. or wonder how good it is. it was a jersey car and has some rust and what not. i don't think the limited slip works anymore. i know the current axle is an 8.8 but may not be the original. i would really like to convert to disc in the rear.. so its a mix of upgrading and preventive maintenance. then i can swap the old one into my off road rig. (cherokee) im well aware its not necessary, but its the way i see is more fun for me. haha. the plan is a whiles out while i pay off some loans. but if i find an axle for a good deal ill pull the trigger. i appreciate the help guys

Back