35" KM2s...installed ! ! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

35" KM2s...installed ! !

Looks really good man, i'd love to go to 35s next. How was the trimming behind the front tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll put the sway bar back on, if for no other reason than I recently installed new bushings and end links (I don't like wasting money). I'll probably get around to doing that when I start taking measurements for a skid plate.

Thanks Brent.

Really, I think y'all will be surprised at the trimming I've done. It's not really any more than guys with 33s have done. I'm sure I will find more to take out as I get chances to really push it off road, but from what I've been able to test around here on our property (we're digging out a pond in no particular pattern), I've gotten rid of 95%+ of the problem areas. And let's remember that I'm using 4.25" backspacing.

Unless I find out that I've completely missed something when I get to really wheel it, I don't see why everyone doesn't just go to 35s, except that there are a ton of naysayers on the forum that say it can't be done. Remember ST guys, our wheel wells are much bigger than the other Explorers! Embrace the envy of the Explorer community and go ahead and stuff 35s in there! :D

Hold on a minute...be back soon.

Trimming:

Driver's side
IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

Passenger's Side
IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

Not trimming, but a quick picture I snapped of the ST next to my wife's Tahoe Z71 on 33s.
IMG_3472.jpg

Just realized I didn't put the screws back in the lips of the fenders. Forgive me.

Here's some pictures of them being stuffed. These are the only two I have so far. I'll try to get more later.

Driver's side front:
IMG_3462.jpg

This was before I trimmed the outer body panel at that corner. About 2" of that is now gone and the tire moves freely in and out of there while stuffed. The front facing of the plastic cladding was able to remain, though.

Passenger's side rear:
IMG_3464.jpg

Forgot about these photos. A little info about trimming, or removing side cladding for paint, etc. There's a couple screws at the front and rear of the cladding. Also, at the bottom of the cladding there's some 4 or 5 retainers per cladding panel; just get them out the quickest way and buy new ones; pliers ripped 'em right out for me. They're not worth trying to salvage and you'll only be frustrated with these incredibly dumb fasteners. I think they were just over $3 for a pack of 15 at Advance Auto.

Then, you have what's pictured below. I removed the cladding using a small pry bar wrapped with a rag. If you pull the cladding straight up it will remove right from clips, no problem. This is what I was left with.

IMG_3460.jpg

These are the clips holding it to the body. This one stayed on the cladding. Pulling the cladding directly out may work, too, but I was afraid of damaging the clips and from what I remember, they ain't cheap to replace.

IMG_3461.jpg

Trimming:

Driver's side
IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

Passenger's Side
IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

Not trimming, but a quick picture I snapped of the ST next to my wife's Tahoe Z71 on 33s.
IMG_3472.jpg

the trac is dominating the Z71!

Just realized I didn't put the screws back in the lips of the fenders. Forgive me.

Here's some pictures of them being stuffed. These are the only two I have so far. I'll try to get more later.

Driver's side front:
IMG_3462.jpg

This was before I trimmed the outer body panel at that corner. About 2" of that is now gone and the tire moves freely in and out of there while stuffed. The front facing of the plastic cladding was able to remain, though.

Passenger's side rear:
IMG_3464.jpg

The picture with the rear tire, is the suspension compressed at all or does the 35 eat up that much wheel well space?

Just did this real quick

IMG-20111209-00168-1.jpg

Brent, you gotta use a side picture of Hugh's when it's not flexed out for good comparison.

Haha, yeah, that's compressed as much as I could get in a quick run around our future pond site.

:scratch:Yea i was about to say i know 35s aren't that much bigger

Yeah, that picture of the front is also at compression; not full stuff, but as best as I was going to spend time on in the early stages of trimming. I'm going to try to get it on the tractor this week and finish off anything I may have missed.

Took it around the property today and blazed a few of my own trails through the woods. Pushed a few dead trees down. And then found out just how wide these tires are. I had the mirrors angled all the way down so I could see down the body line and see where the rear tires were getting placed. Well, I should have paid more attention to them. Got a new battle scar down the side of my truck. While I was looking down the driver's side, my rear passenger tire grabbed a 2" wide tree and slapped it down the side of my truck and smacked the side mirror. :banghead:

It'll buff out.

Just say NO man. Why are you blazin' up???? LOL

How bad is the mirror? Pictures or it didn't happen...

Haha. I went to get the mail (yes, the driveway is long and I'm not that lazy) and just got the urge to take off through the trees instead of taking the easy route back. The mirror didn't take any damage, just made a loud thud. I was able to get the marks down the side mostly off with just my thumb. I really meant it when I said it'll buff out. There really isn't much to take pictures of. Luckily the tree was small and mostly limbless, about 12 ft. tall. Just gave me a quick lesson on watching my tires better.

Found out where the neighbors were doing all the tree cutting and found a good spot to set up for turkey season. :D

Here's how they fit. This is within 1/4" of the bumpstop. Hard to tell in the picture but easy to see in the video. I can turn lock to lock just shy (and fully at) the bumpstop without any rubbing.

1/4" shy of full stuff. BAM!

frontstuff.jpg

bumpstop.jpg

See that gap between the control arm and the bumpstop. Hardly? Yeah, bad picture and hard to tell. Check the video.

th_lock2lock.jpg

yeah BAM I like and I am jealous!!!! Very Nice OffTrac!!!

Seeing you are from "Dublin" I might just go and toast a Guiness for your full stuff.

What better way to subscribe to this thread than by saying awesome job!

Make it teal, take off the piaas and give me 2 months...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wold love to get some old Wagon wheels like I had on my '79 Scout II but they don't make them anymore and the originals are 5X5, 5x5.5 and 6x5.5 depending...

I'm pretty sure I saw some white 15x10 or 8 on Summit - because I thought they might look good on my white 'trac with the grey parts removed, but they cost maybe 10-20 more than the cheap steel truck wheels, and aluminum wheels might be more my thing if I don't just go with the very cheapest.

Still kinda thinking about them though - all white might be cool...

Back