Back to Rust! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back to Rust!

I think this topic has been address before. But I would like to discuss the topic of rocker panel rust.
1.) What is the best way of removing this cursed disease from my explorer?
2.) If it was possible to cut out rocker panels and weld in new pieces?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your second question is the answer to your first.

The ONLY way to rid your self of rust is to cut out the cancerous stuff.
Go at least two inches beyond the infected area. Weld in new metal, and protect, protect, protect. A body shop supply store will have plenty of corrosion protection stuff to do the task.

Welcome to the site and don't be a stranger.

MONMIX said:
your second question is the answer to your first.

Couldn't have said it better.

Welcome hope you enjoy it here! :)

Ok

here is the problem. The rust has eaten a little past the rocker panel on the driver side. under the passenger door it has rusted out right along the seem of the dogleg and rocker panel. I guess i need a welder and some practice.

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!
Rust never sleeps my friend.
It is all of it or nothing.

So, what are you supposed to do?

a) Cut out any piece with rust? -(1 cm from rust?, or more?)?
b) Weld in a new section of whatever using?. (what metal)?..

Should you treat the underside (whatever side is not painted) with something?

Is this the proper way to deal with rust?
I'm just used to the sand/grind like heck, then drill & pop rivet new metal on, followed by bondo..

How much is a decent welder? They all look around 400 - 600+ CDN

Thanks,
PJ

Surface rust can be sanded till you see no more.
Rust that has eaten through cut it out about an inch and a half to two inches beyond the infected area.
Spray the area you are about to weld with a Zinc weld thru primer.
Weld the new metal all the way using stagering steps. Weld about an inch and move on to another spot.
Grind the welds flat, and fill with a good quality body filler ( FWIW I do not consider Bondo brand a good quality body filler )
Prime.
In an inconspicious area drill a small hole. Blast the inside with primer, bees wax, or rubberised undercoating.
Plug the hole with a rubber grommet.
Prep and paint.

MONMIX said:
In an inconspicious area drill a small hole. Blast the inside with primer, bees wax, or rubberized undercoating.
Plug the hole with a rubber grommet.

Very good idea. Can I try this on the inside of my step bars using an existing hole?

well if rust already exists it is pretty pointless.
On your step bars there are holes where the rubber step pad attach.
You may have leakage, so be careful.

on the underbody of my 94 XLT I took an evening and sprayed everything down with tremclad black matt rust paint, so far after much heavy rain, it's all still black... I also put about 20 coats of it inside my gass filler pocket as no matter how well it was sand blasted, primed and painted rust always came back in a couple weeks... it's been 3 months now, and nothing yet... eventually I'm going to replace the whole quarter pannel with one made of fiberglass.

I've tried sanding smooth until most of the rust is gone, tremcladding, priming and painting rust bubbles that were under my "Ford" and "Explorer" emblems on the tailgate. I'll let you all know how it turns out... it's been 3 weeks and so far nothing yet... the reason I'm confident this will work is that the tremclad bonds to and neutrilizes the rust where regular automotive paints and primers won't. You could probably use Rustolium rather than Tremclad as I hear it is a much better product, I've just never used it.

We also have a service up on the east coast in Canada called Rust Check... they have a viscous grease that they spray into pannels and on the under carrage to inhibit rust. They garuntee that it won't get rid of any rust you have, but it will stop any new rust from forming... I may get them to do my X

I'm not recommending these methods, just letting you all know what I've done in the short term, and will let you all know how it turns out

Back