rockers starting to rust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rockers starting to rust

Hey guys,
I was looking under the x today and I noticed that my rockers are starting to rust where they go down to the seam. I have the sport model which has the fender flares and plastic side skirt.

Right now it just looks like surface rust. I did feel with my hand to see if the metal was weak but it felt strong. I would like to take care of this during the summer. I searched a little and know that you have to remove all the rust and then repaint it.

I just want to take off those plastic skirts and get rid of the rust on both sides. What would be the best approach, use a wirewheel and then use primer and paint? Also i think i should use some type of undercoat on the other side, would POR-15 be worth it or use something else?

I appreciate any replies and will start gathering supplies after i figure out what to do. Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the BEST approach is to cut out and remove all the rust.

I don't have a welder so i dont think its an option, there isnt a lot of rust. So you are saying if i sand or grind it down it will still return?

rockers starting to rust.....

At least you are trying to stop the inevitable, your way will last for , who knows how long for sure. (from months to years) Monmix just said the BEST way was to replace the old metal. :)

'94 Limited Edition,4.0 liter, automatic, US specs {bone stock :eek: }

:exp: :exp: :exp:

Sandblast, prime with a good epoxy primer and paint. Let dry and then oilspray the cr*p out of the inside of the rockers. Rust never sleeps, but this sure slows it down a lot.

Well i guess eventually i will have to replace the metal but for now i want to sand it down to the bare metal and then prime and paint. I guess part of the reason its starting to rust is probably because of the plastic skirts have holes that and then are held on by clips. So i guess water finds itself past these holes and starts rusting there. And i bet those skirts and flares vibrate too.

I was planning to buy a sand blaster too. I will probably start this when it gets a little warmer outside since i dont have a heated garage. No opinions about using por-15?

It might LOOK like surface rust, but chances are once you take off the tupperware, you will find most of the bottom of the rocker is completely rusted through from the back to either the middle or more. The holes let everything into the rocker and it sits there, rusting through.

I suggest you take off the plastic skirts ASAP and survey the extent of the damage. You might be lucky and only have some small areas rusted through, but I'd be very surprised if there was only minor surface rust to take care of.

If it's just surface rust, you can just use a wire wheel to remove, it, spray on some rust converter, and coat with black paint or whatever matches your particular models rocker paint. If theres rusted through spots, the only way to fix it is to cut off the rusted metal all the way into the good stuff, and weld on new sheet metal. A welder would be more useful than a sand blaster for this kind of work.

Thanks
I used por-15 when i searched, por15 gave better results.

A rocker is the body piece that runs just under your doors and meets the inner metal under the vehicle.

I don't have a welder so i dont think its an option, there isnt a lot of rust. So you are saying if i sand or grind it down it will still return?

i do believe they have a bonding agent that you don't have to wield, you can bond them on, but i personally have never tried it

I don't think that would be as strong as welding it on. Like if you for example were hit there it would just fall apart, so i think welding would be the best option. Otherwise its not worth doing all that work cutting them out.

Back