• Register Today It's free!

Back up camera canbus

scubastevesx

Reaction score
City, State
WASHINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EXPLORER XLT 4.6
Hello 2006 explorer xlt. Hooking up backup camera. Will it be ok to use the back up lights for power going to solder and not cut anything.

Also my radio intructions say not to hookup the trigger wire 12v positive if car is canbus not sure what to do for a trigger i can work around by hooking the video to line in 1 or 2..

Side note are the puddle likes canbus trying to up grade things to led a little thanks for anyhelp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you want the camera powered all the time through acc power. You just trigger it with the backup lights. I can view my backup camera any time the Explorer is running.

These guys have a lot of great videos on stereo installation. Here's one on backup cameras. It starts out like it's just telling you what their favorite is, but they cover wiring it too.

just hooked up a reverse cam in my 2007.. for the trigger I tapped into the 12+ reverse light wire and for cam power just used the keyed ignition power wire going into the radio ..... as for led's you can swap out reverse lights, puddle lamps, the top running light on the rear tails and front blinkers with no error codes..... all of the 194 bulbs..... the lower brake/blinker will code out on you and bonus the fog lights wont give any codes if you swap out to hid or leds

cool thanks for the info i picked up some 194 canbus bulds and going to grab some non canbus
was a little worried of the canbus freeking out. the third brake i guessing is canbus

3rd brake light is also 194 bulbs so its non canbus..... only the headlights and brakelights are canbus

The cameras typically consume very little juice. They can be powered by the reverse light wires themselves. Just look at the power rating for the camera.

the power for the camera should be a keyed power source .... only use the reverse light as a trigger for the headunit to switch screens..... doing it the other was will cause the HU to act slow and give poor results

Back