• Register Today It's free!

back up camera help

BLACK X

Reaction score
City, State
md
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 xlt black
I just installed a pioneer head unit and bought a wireless back up camera.I tried hooking it up to the head unit but no luck.my buddy said it needs the screen for the camera to work.saying that the screen sends power to camera.I wantto plug it in to the head unit.has anyone ran into this.thanks

I have no idea about going thru a head unit, but the LCD display (screen) I have on my wireless system is not powered thru the camera, it recieves it's power from the wiring harness I tapped into. The transmitter recieves it's power from another source, (I tapped it into the aux wire) and then the xmitter sends power to the camera and of course the camera sends the image back to the transmitter which sends it to the LCD. I have toggle switches to power up or down the LCD and transmitter seperately.
There should of been a set of instructions with the camera kit with a very simple wiring diagram. Most screens are set up to be plugged into the cigarette lighter and the xmitter spliced into the reverse lights so it only recieves power when in reverse. (mine is set up to see the front tires, so I did do some modifying)
The head unit is where I am lost, I know nothing about them.
Hope I didn't cause more confusion.

thanks man

How did you wire it up to a switch.I want mine to a switch also.

Your Welcome, glad had some info that you can use.
I just used the toggle switch as an interrupter (sp). Basically just putting in a "light switch" from the power source to the LCD and one to the transmitter. Cut the wire and just hooked the ends to the toggle switch so I could engage/cut the power thru the toggle.
Finding the mounting points for everything and then just running the wiring.

Back