• Register Today It's free!

Backup Camera

Splace73

Reaction score
City, State
Republic, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Base
I recently purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer Base Model. It was wrecked (front end damage) but was repaired prior to my purchase. The window sticker says it has a backup camera… my eyes say it has a backup camera… my hands physically removed the backup camera to check the plug… however, when I get in my vehicle, put it in reverse, it is as if it never had one. No screen change. No connection issue error message. Just. Like. It. Never. Had. One. When I go to vehicle settings in the menu, nothing there alludes to a backup camera. When I go to driver assist settings in the menu, nothing there alludes to a backup camera. Also, there are no beeps from sensors when backing up (if there is something in the way). I checked fuse (10A) number 34 in the engine bay. It was good, but I replaced it anyway with another one. Nothing. Yes, it is a base model. However, it actually does have a backup camera, and from my understanding, backup sensors. But it is as if none of it were ever installed on the vehicle. I thought I would check here before I go buying parts. Also, I would have thought the vehicle would have, at the very least, settings for it. Please help!?!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
This is from the 2017 Explorer Order Guide and is shown as Standard Equipment on the Base tram.
● Rear View Camera with Backup Assist Grid Lines and Washer
1679952721156.png

Seems the sensors were an Option.
Possibly some modules may have been damaged in the accident.
Do you have the 4" screen or the 8" with MFT? Can you do a Master Reset?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
This is from the 2017 Explorer Order Guide and is shown as Standard Equipment on the Base tram.
● Rear View Camera with Backup Assist Grid Lines and Washer
View attachment 440445
Seems the sensors were an Option.
Possibly some modules may have been damaged in the accident.
Do you have the 4" screen or the 8" with MFT? Can you do a Master Reset?

Peter
4” screen. What is a master reset?

It sets everything back to factory defaults. I believe it is found in one of the Settings in the display.
Do you have Sync 3? Sometimes a negative battery disconnect for a few minutes might accomplish the same thing. If that has been done lately then it probably won't solve the issue.

Peter

Back