Intermittent Rearview Backup Camera | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent Rearview Backup Camera

RGS1957

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
I have a 2014 Explorer that has developed an intermittent backup camera problem. After getting the "Camera not available. Contact Dealer" or blank screen I removed the camera and cleaned all the contacts. After replacing it all worked fine for a while (1 month +), then it started to be intermittent again with the frequency increasing over time. I have done this a couple of times with the same results. Is this the camera going bad or something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 Explorer that has developed an intermittent backup camera problem. After getting the "Camera not available. Contact Dealer" or blank screen I removed the camera and cleaned all the contacts. After replacing it all worked fine for a while (1 month +), then it started to be intermittent again with the frequency increasing over time. I have done this a couple of times with the same results. Is this the camera going bad or something else?
Same problem here. 2014 Explorer. It's gotten progressively worse over two months. I hate to take it to the dealer (as the error message says to do) but I don't know what else to do. Thanks.

Same problem here. 2014 Explorer. It's gotten progressively worse over two months. I hate to take it to the dealer (as the error message says to do) but I don't know what else to do. Thanks.
I've tried replacing the camera several times with compatibility issues. The "Guarantied to fit" I just got, the image is upside down along with other problems. I can't find a direct replacement. I'm getting good swapping them in and out though.

Did you get the camera I linked in post #2?

Peter

Did you get the camera I linked in post #2?

Peter
I already had this one with the same number (EB5Z-19G490-A) on order. I'll have to remove it and return it before I move on. Thanks. My camera from the factory is EB5T-19G490-AA

I would say that the camera likely needs to be replaced. If you have the Park Assist feature, it will also have to be reprogrammed to your vehicle in order to get the moving lines.
Levittown is a forum vendor and offers members a discount. Coupon Codes for Forum Members

Peter

I have had the same problem. If I replace the camera, and don't care about the lines, will it work without reprogramming, or does it have to be reprogrammed no matter if the camera is replaced?

According to some posts I've read here, it should work.

Peter

Back