• Register Today It's free!

Bad A/C Compressor????

5.0L V8

Reaction score
City, State
Paradise,Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 AWD
So I bought some R-134a. Charged my A/C up, and it is not blowing cold. The motor in the A/C compressor is not circulating the refigerant. My neighbor (who was helping me at the time) told me after the system runs out of refigerant, the motor for the compressor will turn off so it doesn't overheat. He said you essentially had to "jumpstart" them back up. My 97' has been out of the stuff for quite some time.

I checked the fuse in the door jam panel fuse box #18. It was still good. I couldnt find a relay fuse for the A/C up in the engine bay, What do i do know????

Any info/input/opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Evan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I bought some R-134a. Charged my A/C up, and it is not blowing cold. The motor in the A/C compressor is not circulating the refigerant. My neighbor (who was helping me at the time) told me after the system runs out of refigerant, the motor for the compressor will turn off so it doesn't overheat. He said you essentially had to "jumpstart" them back up. My 97' has been out of the stuff for quite some time.

I checked the fuse in the door jam panel fuse box #18. It was still good. I couldnt find a relay fuse for the A/C up in the engine bay, What do i do know????

Any info/input/opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Evan
I never heard of "jumpstarting" an A/C compressor. More than likely a bad pressure switch. Try temporarily jumping the high pressure switch. You can use a paperclip. I think there may be a low pressure switch too. I have not worked on my Explorer A/C to know for sure. Good luck.

How much refrigerent did you put in? The system holds 1lb, 14oz.
You need enough pressure to overcome the low pressure switch before the compressor will turn on. >30 psi

IF your system has been without "stuff for a long time", then you probably need to take it in and get a proper "charge" (plus any other fix done) because it is likely that humidity also is inside your system which may cause issues to your compressor. The system needs to be "vacuumed" to get everything out, leak fixed, and then a proper injection of refrigerant and oils need to be put back.

How much refrigerent did you put in? The system holds 1lb, 14oz.
You need enough pressure to overcome the low pressure switch before the compressor will turn on. >30 psi

I did not even put in half of a 12oz can. So you think I need to charge atleast a can or so in there just to overcome the lower pressure switch? I gave up after I felt no cold air, and I had work in 6 hours at 4am the next morning. So it was time to drop it for the night.

Back