Bad bad 1996 Explorer hood problem!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad bad 1996 Explorer hood problem!!!

gfkyleknox

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
The hood on my explorer flew open in high winds on the road...you don't even want to know why the hood was popped...so I had the battery looked at and the genius slammed the hood closed. It was definitely out of alignment because the metal on the back of the hood near the windshield is directly up against metal in front of the windshield.

ANYWAY...I went to try and fix it today, and the hood won't open, because the metal rubs together...does anyone have recommendations for how to solve this problem?

Thanks to all you experts...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pull on the handle for the hood while somebody pulls up on the hood, or hits it with a flat hand, to shake it loose,

get someone to pull on the release inside the cab... while they do, crawl under the front end and use a 2X4 or something long enough, slide it up thru the engine compartment (near the rad) to push up on the hood to give in "help" to get by the first latch lock, then you should be able to then reach the secondary release and lift the thing back up.

well, the hood will pop, its those two pieces of metal touching that prevent it from opening without screwing one of them up...I think if I have a buddy push down on the rear prt of the hood while i open it, it might open, in which case i can adjust the hood bolts and all will be well.

it is probably all bent anyways , is the corner of it really a big issue ??

Back