• Register Today It's free!

"BAD" factory radio

Bill O'Rights

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have a Ford factory AM/FM radio, single slot CD player, in my 94 Explorer. It suddenly stopped working and displayed the word "BAD" on the display. I pulled it out and it seemed a little warm. After putting it back in it seemed to have reset itself and started working again. Then, it did it again. After pulling it out a second time it was definately hot to the touch. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Junk it and get a new one,I have $149 Kenwoods in both of mine and they are a lot nicer.USB so I only carry one 8 gig usb flashdrive instead of 50 cd's.:D

Ditto with safn,

Unless you are restoring the truck to factory spec, I would just get an aftermarket head unit. Shop around, there are lots of nice ones out there. Kenwood, Pioneer or Sony are probably the best without spending alot of money.

I haven't been on thier site for a couple years, but I used to use etroincs.com back when I was building stereos for friends in highschool. Check there, you can save some $$ even with the shipping.

What's nice here is we have a place that installs for $1 if you buy the stereo from them.:D

Junk it and get a new one,I have $149 Kenwoods in both of mine and they are a lot nicer.USB so I only carry one 8 gig usb flashdrive instead of 50 cd's.:D

Yep, exactly what I have, that usb jack is the best thing. Load up a few thousand or so of your fav songs and off ya go.

Not sure on the factory unit problem. I'd say it could use a good cleaning and a lube of moving parts but overheating and shutting down completely, many possibilities there.

Open it up and have a look, sniff around for burnt parts on the board(s) and such. Always the possibility you can spot the problem and fix it yourself if you are electronically inclined.

Back